Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
supercharger leaking
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: supercharger leaking

Junior SCH Member

supercharger leaking

here is my problem.. bout my supercharger about 6 months ago and ever since i put it on it leaks fluid out of the front behind the pulley is this normal? is it to full?or is there something wrong? also i want to get more power out of it. im only getting 5 psi out of the sc. got a paxton sn93. any suggestions.. also what is the vr4 or vf4 upgrade??? thanks for the help in advance...

Senior SCH Member
    No, it means the front seal is blown and you have to dismantle it to replace it. It ain't hard but, if it ain't too much, just wipe it up every once in a while.

The SN93 is pretty much optimised for 5 PSI. Start wringing it as is and you'll soon meet its limitations. There's a bit more to be had but, not alot.

There are no more VR4 kits out there however, Dirk might want to sell you his...

F=MA

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F=MA
    No, it means the front seal is blown and you have to dismantle it to replace it. It ain't hard but, if it ain't too much, just wipe it up every once in a while.

The SN93 is pretty much optimised for 5 PSI. Start wringing it as is and you'll soon meet its limitations. There's a bit more to be had but, not alot.

There are no more VR4 kits out there however, Dirk might want to sell you his...

F=MA
    now what will the vr4 do for my sc. and how much would a vr4 kit cost and is there really anything to installing one is it hard or pretty much common sense?

Senior SCH Member
    It's an improved impeller and requires you to stress the ball drive higher to get it to work.

It's pretty easy to take this blower apart. Search this forum with the term "Paxton rebuild" and you'll find the collected wisdom on the subject.

F=MA

Junior SCH Member
    so is there an easier way to get more power out of this supercharger like getting a smaller pulley.. because i got a yukon with a 350 and it doesnt seem like i got a whole lot of power out of the supercharger.. but i am still working out a couple of bugs with it like the fuel sending unit is leaking the throttle shaft is leaking to.. and it seems to be missing under higher rpm and boost dont know if there is too much fuel or not enough...and if i can get a smaller pulley were can i get one what size should i go with and are they universal to diff. s/c? thanks for the help...

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yukongt
    so is there an easier way to get more power out of this supercharger like getting a smaller pulley.. because i got a yukon with a 350 and it doesnt seem like i got a whole lot of power out of the supercharger.. but i am still working out a couple of bugs with it like the fuel sending unit is leaking the throttle shaft is leaking to.. and it seems to be missing under higher rpm and boost dont know if there is too much fuel or not enough...and if i can get a smaller pulley were can i get one what size should i go with and are they universal to diff. s/c? thanks for the help...
    Sounds like your running out of fuel. That happed to me with my sn2000. I pulled hard to 3500, then it fell flat on it's face. I upgraded larger injectors and an FMU which solved the problem. The car pulled up ot 6000 easy! You can only spin the ball drive units to 44-48K. to figure out RPM x 4.4 (impeller ratio) x size of crank pulley/ supercharger pulley. No more than 48000 if I"m correct?

Junior SCH Member
    well i got a aeromotive rising rate. with a wahlbro 255 im just wondering if im maxing out my stock injectors.. someone told me i would be ok up to 8 psi with the stock injectors but im not sure... plus i got to get that throttle shaft a sending unit fixed that might cure a little bit of it but i still did it before that happen...

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yukongt
    well i got a aeromotive rising rate. with a wahlbro 255 im just wondering if im maxing out my stock injectors.. someone told me i would be ok up to 8 psi with the stock injectors but im not sure... plus i got to get that throttle shaft a sending unit fixed that might cure a little bit of it but i still did it before that happen...

What size injectors are you running? and what type?

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    My tbi trottleshaft was leaking at first to but I placed a O ring between the return spring and the tbi housing and it stopped leaking.
    btw the front seal of the Paxton is a normal seal witch you can get almost everywhere, the rearseal is a special 3 lip seal disign becouse of the heat and high rpm.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pavement pounde
    My tbi trottleshaft was leaking at first to but I placed a O ring between the return spring and the tbi housing and it stopped leaking.
    btw the front seal of the Paxton is a normal seal witch you can get almost everywhere, the rearseal is a special 3 lip seal disign becouse of the heat and high rpm.
    how hard is it to replace that throttle shaft seal because it sounds like its leaking in the same area.. i wish there was someone in the area i could take for a ride so they can see what is actually happening because its hard to explain..not sure if its the injectors? not enough or to much fuel? or if it could have something to do with the sparkplugs.. or even the computer...i just dont know were to start....:weird:

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F=MA

F=MA
    Yea, mine is still up for grabs.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Drive the vehicle get it home and pull the plugs and you will have some of your answers. IF you did not close the gap on your plugs some that could be problem #1.

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    Say yukon,

What year is the Gmc ?
    Do you have the tbi like I have with 2 injectors ? or multipoint with 8 injectors ?
    Becouse mine leaking around the trottleshaft was nearly becouse pressurerised gas escapes at the trottleshaft and dripping fuel to, so the new O ring solved that but if you have dripping fluid at the shaft while you have multipoint injection then I am afreight it is oil dripping from the supercharger.
    Actualy I had my tbi enlarged by a friend who also instald the O ring, but I don't think it is difficult.
    Original my Paxton kit came with a modefied Paxton trottleshaft bud some how it was lost so therefore the O ring.
    Here is a close pic of my enlarged tbi:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ounder/tbi.jpg
    Last edited by pavement pounde; 07-21-2005 at 01:32 PM.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pavement pounde
    Say yukon,

What year is the Gmc ?
    Do you have the tbi like I have with 2 injectors ? or multipoint with 8 injectors ?
    Becouse mine leaking around the trottleshaft was nearly becouse pressurerised gas escapes at the trottleshaft and dripping fuel to, so the new O ring solved that but if you have dripping fluid at the shaft while you have multipoint injection then I am afreight it is oil dripping from the supercharger.
    Actualy I had my tbi enlarged by a friend who also instald the O ring, but I don't think it is difficult.
    Original my Paxton kit came with a modefied Paxton trottleshaft bud some how it was lost so therefore the O ring.
    Here is a close pic of my enlarged tbi:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ounder/tbi.jpg

the truck is a 94. and it has the tbi with 2 injectors.

Junior SCH Member
    dirk how much would you want for the vr4 kit???