Thread: Help with cam choice

SCH Member

Help with cam choice

Also posted on StangTuning//
    I am now driving my car daily and need something with better drivability than my B-303, I am thinking an E-303 but wanted some opinions, I have sold off all the S/C stuff so it will be N/A. I plan on installing 3.27 gears for my highway commute and also might add a Turbo at a later date. I like the sound of a lumpy idle but would rather not smell all the hydrocarbons at an idle as the car is a convertible. To sum things up
    - Clean idle
    - Turbo usage?
    - ability to use 1.7 Rockers would be nice(have them already)
    - Torque for steeper gears at low RPM, or around town

As I am typing it seems a stock cam would be best(is that bad?), how about a Cobra cam? Anyone have anything available

I also would like to add some Aluminum heads since it is just N/A for a bit more power than the GT-40P's
    Thanks guys :)
    93 LX Convertible, Saleen body kit & decals, Balanced 306, B303, 1.7rr, TRW Forged pistons, Explorer intake, GT40p heads,Head studs, 70mm T.B,

You could go with either the TFS stage 1 or a AFM cam. Either one would be a great addition to your combo.

If your thinking turbo for sure i'd just run the stock cam, exploder intake. This stuff will be a great match for sure. Ano of the aftermarket heads will do. I personally think the Twisted wedge heads are best for the dollar and they leave alot of room for porting.

I'd run it with the gt40p's if it was me because you shouldn't have a problem making 460rwhp with a turbo and a good tune.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

SCH Member
    It is really hard not to feel like bigger is better but I know that a stock cam will make it run perfect, I found info on a crane 2030 or 2031 , they both sound very mild. BTW, does anyone know what stock cam specs are I can't find the info.
    93 LX Convertible, Saleen body kit & decals, Balanced 306, B303, 1.7rr, TRW Forged pistons, Explorer intake, GT40p heads,Head studs, 70mm T.B,

SCH Member
    The Crane 2020 cam is another great small cam. A friend had that cam and it was in a 9:1 306 with Windsor SR heads and Saleen intake. It was a torque monster. It idled great (slight lope to it) and drivability was like stock. This was in a 86 with speed density too.
    86 Capri 331ci 185AFR's Holley Systemax intake S-trim TKO 9" rear 245/50/16 Nitto

513rwhp/493rwtq on pump gas. More to come in 05!

Headed for the 10's fully loaded on a radial.

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    The GT40 & P heads do not generate any additional airflow above .5" lift, so don't even bother with any cam that generates much more lift than that, you will only beat up your valvetrain for no good reason.

A stock HO cam is great for drivability obviously, and these can also make good power with some 1.72 rockers - with these rockers you end up with @ 208-210 @ .050 duration and .480 lift, 115 LSA. I would not recommend a stock Cobra cam, these give up some performance to the stock HO cam for some engine smoothness (ford was competing with BMW/Lexus engine refinement levels in the SVT's price range, they had to smooth out the idle as much as possible).

Based on your needs, IMO you should be looking for a cam that is right around 212 to 218 @ .050 duration, with .480" to .500" lift and 110 to 112 LSA, 114 is okay too. Install it straight up or 2 degrees retarded, helps the long runner intakes get the cylinders filled.

The advertised duration is not too important, this number will determine how smooth the idle is. The stock HO grind is right around 262 total on the intake, in a 302 anything 275-280 degees or higher seat duration is going to have a lopey idle.

That said, I really like my 282 Ultradyne, it has 216 @ .050 duration and .512 lift, 112 LSA. The idle has a mild lope to it, this cam comes on strong at 2500 and pulls hard to 5500. Running ported GT40 iron heads @ 9.4:1 and ported-lower Edelbrock Performer, my 3450# GT w/ 3.73s went 105.5 mph 1/4 miles with this cam, it made +14 hp more than an E cam with the same top end parts.

Howard, the cam designer who used to be at Ultradyne, is now techincal director at Lunati. My old cam with some updated specs is now called a Lunati 510A1LUN. Most of the big cam companies have a similar mild grind. These cams are all good for use with a smallish turbo (8-10 psi max and 5500-6000 redline).
    Chris