Thread: Newbie to forced induction.

Junior SCH Member

Newbie to forced induction.

Ok I just recently bought a VR4 blower kit for a 87 to 93 5.0 for $700 from Pomona swap meet. With the plans of running it on my Kustom 54 Victoria project. Here's what I have planned

97 Exploder p head engine 87k miles
    Roush 94/95 three piece intake (this thing looks bitchen)
    93 cobra ecm
    70 mm tbird maf ( this is 93 cobra calibration)
    24 lb injectors (also have a set of 30 lb injectors)
    gear drive timing gears.
    Cam shaft unknown at this time would like it lope a little but not surge with the EFI
    stock Explorer P headers ( these actually fit the 54 frame nice)
    2 1/2 x pipe if It can be made to fit the frame into 2 1/2 3 chamber flow masters with 2 1/4 tail pipes air actuated cut outs to 2 1/2 lake pipes

Need help on how much boost, pulley sizes I will measure the ones that came with it and post what sizes they are later. From what I am reading this VR4 may be really be more boost than what i need.

What dose the FMU actually do and does this setup sound like I will need to get a so called Dyno tune?

I know you guys wont like this too much but the super charger is more for the WOW factor than drag racing but I still want to surprise some people with it. I want this thing to be reliable!

Just for the record I have swapped Efi 5.0 H.Os Into a 64 mustang, 73 ranchero, 40 Ford deluxe also converted my 91 3.8 bird to a 5.0 H.O so I am not worried about that part of it.
    Last edited by 5.0 Chero; 07-27-2005 at 01:37 PM. Reason: cant spell fer sheit

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    With the factory cast(hyper)pistons on that year of 5.0 I would just run 5-6psi. Step up later if needed. You can run the 6" Paxton lower and a 4.25" blower pulley and have a nice running engine and get great horsepower and MPG. Even with 24lb injectors you will need a FMU at 5-6psi.

Senior SCH Member
    Don't underestimate the hypers. I've been in on testing them every bit as hard as the forged ones in my 88. They simply won't give way. If you break one of these, you'll pretty likely have done in a factory forged one, as well.

The failure mode on hypers is a bit more dramatic, as it's a cast piston so, it'll shatter, as opposed to bending but, either way, the motors KIA.

It's no cause for concern, really. BTDT, bought the T-shirt and the temporary tatoo.

I do think it's a good idea to get a good running low boost setup going first and then moving up anyway, as the low boost setup will reveal problems before they become explosions and tuning is easier and instructive, as you're changing less at once.

F=MA

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    No room for mistakes with Hypers but at least the engine does not rattle when cold like Forged.