Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
2 questions

Thread: 2 questions

2 questions

Do you think I could just go ahead and pic up a 75mm t-body. I'm going to need it eventually, so would it hurt me real bad right now?

Also what cam should I look for? I'm thinking alphabet or a small extreem energy. It should be compatible with a typoon intake and some trickflow heads and of course my novi2k?

Both these parts I'd like to pick up used, so let me know if you fellas see anything. I'm swinging the assembly of the top of my motor into high gear and am looking for parts. I would love it if the t-body was nice and shiny too. Let me know what you guys think I should use. Remember my shortblock has 130k miles on it.
    thanks again novipoweries!

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

IMO 75mm is too large for all but a select few applications. If you're running 10 psi (I assume you are with your stock short block) with heads and intake, 70mm is more than enough.

Hawk, actually with the 100% stock long-block I've seen as much as 14-15 pounds of boost with the stock pully. I was leaning toward the 70 however.

What about cam suggestions? Would it be to risky to put a cam in a high milage motor?

Brandon

Nah. You're putting a blower on it aren't you? Most people would question installing that on a high mileage motor before a cam. The cam doesn't actually change the stress factor on the motor, but 10++lbs of boost will.

LOL, glen the blower's on the thing, but point well made. I was just worried about all the possible slop that would be in the cam bearings. What do you think?

Brandon

I wouldn't worry too much. There have been plenty of guys with more mileage than you doing more than what you are doing with no hiccups. It's amazing how many 140,000 ++ miles 5.0's that are burning up the 1/4 mile running 10's. It's a testament to just how tough the 5.0 is and how long it will last when it is well maintained. I'm debating the same thing as you. My donor 5.0 has 224,000 kms on it (roughly 140,000 miles) and I'm considering forgoing a rebuild to save money for a better block down the road. it wouldn't cost a whole lot to freshen it, but the damn thing runs so good! The guy that had it before me was the original owner and changed the oil every 3000 miles. He had all the bills to prove it too. The car still runs real strong, easily breaking the tires at will in second gear and doesn't blow any smoke. I haven't done a compression or leak down test on it, but I'm pretty sure the numbers will be good. I'll probably still go ahead and rebuild it anyway as I'd like to have the bottom end balanced. The motor will be out of the car anyway and considering all the money I've spent so far, what's another $2000 canadian to build a stout short block when I've spent almost 4 times that on the blower and other parts for the motor.

Well put, So where in similar shoes. I'm going through the same delima with the decision to build my back up motor stout, or just have it bored honed and then slap some new rings and bearings in it with a minor balance job. All while I'm doing the top end on my current motor. This way I can save for the r block and good rotating assembly. So I feel ya glen. And you know whats another 2 or 3 grand. LOL What I'm doing makes me feel like I'm polishing a turd (130k shortblock) lol.

Brandon