Thread: Street car, help me pick some pullies

SCH Member

Street car, help me pick some pullies

Howdy Pilgrims,

I'm about 3 weeks way from getting my new 348 stroker, a week out from getting my Ed Curtis-ized heads and UPS lost my damn AFM big tube shorty headers.

Help make me smile again by assisting me with my pulley choice. I'll be running a T Trim and 91 octane CA issue crappy gas. I'm still not sure on how I'll going to cool the charge (custom air to air, versus Vortech's air to water). I was originally going to use a 10 rib setup but now I'm entertaining a cogged setup. What sized pullies do I need to look at to get about 10 PSI either way? I think that's a safe setup for the street, any arguments?

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    I think you need to forget the intercooler of any radiator type and get a Water/Meth cooler to make up for that 91 which we call on the east coast 87 octane. You can run alot of boost and more timing then you will ever get on a daily car using a intercooler.

SCH Member
    I do plan on using a meth injection system but I don't want to rely on filling a maximum 1 gallon tank in order to have real fun, which is why I wanted some sort of induction cooling also... :)

Cogged T-trim with 10 psi DOES NOT = A STREET SETUP:shocked: . If concerned about slip get a 10 rib setup. You will have no issues however. A 6.87 and 3.13 should get you around 10 psi. Don't waste your money on a intercooler. Look at a conservative tune and you'll be fine. Put a meth kit on.

93gt made like 580rwhp with 93 octane and meth with like 16 psi on an strim. Maybe he'll put in some info. If not PM him.

He seems to be making good power with what you are looking to do.
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

SCH Member
    Cool, thanks. I have been mulling it over and think I will just order the T trim kit w/o the aftercooler. Less mess anyway. I'm not too fond of underhood clutter to be honest. The best price I have found is through superchargers4less.com. Anyone have a name they want to drop that will beat their pricing?

EDIT: I forgot to mention I finally got my AFM/Bassani shortys. Yay?
    Last edited by straightliner1; 08-23-2005 at 09:52 PM.

SCH Member
    Blownby,

What part of my original post startled you? The 10 PSI or the 10 PSI cogged setup? Just wondering... (Newb trying to get edu-muh-cated here)

The words COGS,10 PSI and STREET all in the same sentence. 10 psi is fine for the street heck 15-20psi is fine as well. But cogs on the street, let alone cogs for only 10 psi. :shocked:

Now people have done it and have it working, but if you only want 10 to 15 psi with a street car it is not worth the cost, and possible issues arising with cogs.(thrown belts, cracked hoods, alingnments, riping teeth, cost of belts, lack of belts, dual keyways, etc.).
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -1.42-- 60'
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

SCH Member
    Yikes, cracked hoods? F that! 10 ribs for my pleasure thank you!

What's the safe max PSI level people are running on the street w/o a cooler? I'm just worried about the dry a$$ heat out here in CA. I plan on running meth but want to see what I can run worst case.

I had 13 psi and was able to run 93 on the street. No cooler of any sort. Good safe tune. Ran 110 at the track with BTM at 1.5 and 93 and BTM at 3 on the street with old s-trim setup.

-545 rwhp
    -1.42-- 60'

SCH Member
    Since I'm stuck with the aforementioned 91 octane what do you think I could get away with (boost wise) on a 110 degree day with the A/C running? I'm not trying at all to get greedy, just trying to get my gameplan together. I want to place the order for the T trim today and need to make up my mind on pulley sizes.
    Thanks again!

Just go with the stock pullies 6.87 and 3.33 or if getting new pullies get the 3.13.

I don't forsee the pulies being a major issue on the street. Since you won't be reving the car to 6,000 rpm's when you have the AC on.

-545 rwhp
    -1.42-- 60'

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    You will need to limit your total timing at 19 degrees at those temperatures with the air on or you will detonation even at 6psi.

SCH Member
    I don't forsee the pulies being a major issue on the street. Since you won't be reving the car to 6,000 rpm's when you have the AC on.

Says you! ;)