Thread: When should I change my bypass/blow off valve

Senior SCH Member

When should I change my bypass/blow off valve

Im running a Vortech SQ trim I was wondering when I had to upgrade from the plastic piece they give you the blow off/ bypass valve to a bigger unit? And what are you guys running and any install pics Thanks
    1990 GT Convertible

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    The plastic bosch valve seems to do fine till over 15psi. Audi now carries a 2nd version of the Bosch valve that is rated at 22psi. A lot of choices the problem is room for the install with tight hood area on V8s compared to 4 bangers.

Senior SCH Member
    thanks I realize theres not much room thats why i asked for some suggestions along with pictures if any had them available. Ill keep those 2 tips in mind thank you. Any others?
    1990 GT Convertible

The stocker seems good till the 15psi range like prevosly said. Look at the maxflow mini-race bypass. Should be good till low 20's yet is still somewhat compact.
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

Senior SCH Member
    ok thanks. Just curious why is the Mini rated at 0-8lbs of boost and teh mondo rated at 0-10lbs? Dont make sense to me. I should be a bit under 15 im seeing 10 at 5000rpm and i have another 1500rpm to turn the motor on my shift point. Motor is untuned at the moment so Im not revving it all the way up.
    1990 GT Convertible

Junior SCH Member

part# on audi 22psi bypass

Quote Originally Posted by speedytang
    The plastic bosch valve seems to do fine till over 15psi. Audi now carries a 2nd version of the Bosch valve that is rated at 22psi. A lot of choices the problem is room for the install with tight hood area on V8s compared to 4 bangers.
    i have vw 114 bypass gos to 15psi need looking for the 22psi audi one. novi 88

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    2004+ Audi Turbo cars have the 22psi BOV stock. Call a VW-Audi dealer in your area.

Senior SCH Member
    I have used the race bypass up to 18 pounds before without any problems.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381