Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HELP - how do I get the pulley off of my SN89?!?

Senior SCH Member
    Not everyone wants one. Much as I love my SN93, if I was to add the cost of VR-4-ing it, I could get substantially newer, tougher, better technology than the VR-4 supplies.

I set a cap at 350 horse for myself with this 5.0. It's easy to make that power level, and the stock hard parts behind it will live a meelion years at that power level.

I know it's sacrilege but, that's how I feel about it...:)

F=MA

Quote Originally Posted by F=MA
    Not everyone wants one. Much as I love my SN93, if I was to add the cost of VR-4-ing it, I could get substantially newer, tougher, better technology than the VR-4 supplies.

I set a cap at 350 horse for myself with this 5.0. It's easy to make that power level, and the stock hard parts behind it will live a meelion years at that power level.

I know it's sacrilege but, that's how I feel about it...:)

F=MA
    I don't think it's sacrelige, I think it's realistic.

When I picked up my SN89, my intention wasn't 600rwhp. If I really wanted that, then I would have probably done what you suggested and gone with newer/better/more efficient technology.

But I think that for the cost, a standard SN series blower is hard to beat as long the goal is realistic. I'd like to see between 350-375hp out of my relatively stock 350 TPI motor, and with 6.0-6.5psi of boost, I think that goal is very possible.

I guess the reason I'm asking so many questions about the VR-4 is because it would be nice to know if (and how) it would be possible to get something like 12 or even 14psi of boost out of these old SN units. Not because I want to run that much (besides, I don't think my engine would handle that for too long), but because it's interesting to know it's possible.

But that raises yet another question. With the capability of such high boost pressures and flow rates that the VR-4 affords, has anyone given any serious thought to possibly casting both the impeller and the scroll cover and re-introducing the kit? If there were enough interest, I'd bet the cost would be quite reasonable. I know I'd consider it.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    If you tool for the unit now and with the market place you the customer could get a better deal still by buying a Novi 1000 which has a nice market share. I have only had big Roots style blowers till I got into the VR4 (never owned a 'SN'). When I purchased my first VR4 in 1990 it was $4k with the line cooler. I don't need over 15psi right now or want to spin my engine over 6800 rpm so to me the VR4 is still a bargain because cost now and parts. I am on over 30 Boards and people are having problems with all the brands Paxton,Vortech,Procharger and they are paying $800-$1200 on repairs because no 3rd party source for internal parts and most are out of the 3 year warranty and still have less than 5k miles. I am probably over 125k miles on the four VR4 units I have had with only rear seal failure. I will say for the money a used VR4 or a Vortech 'A' is the best money spent.

Senior SCH Member
    Can't disagree there, but, I'm adding the SN93 to the list because my setup cost me about $700 CAD when all was said and done, and has been no hassle since I replaced the tired bearing races. It makes it's 5 psi with a pretty tight Gator belt and needs little attention from me maintenance wise.

Like it, no hassle, 300+ on a stock 5.0 motor, stock driveability and mileage, no problemo.

F=MA

Senior SCH Member
    I too considered going with a different charger, however, I alread had the sn2000, another $700 for my VR4 would put me where I wanted to be. I looked at selling my sn2000 for say 1000 if I were lucky & the 700 for hte VR$. I would need another 1500 to get the procharger. As speedy said, the rebuilds are expensive. Crap, I know how easy it's to rebuild the sn series, hence, why I went to the VR4. If I would have went with the procharger, I would have been in the same boat as I"M in now. Needing new injectors, more work and time in tuning my chip. I would have been really pissed since I've no time for my car becasue of school! Crap, I hardly ever get to drive my car because of school:( Anyway, it all comes down to what your looking for. cost effeicinet supercharger easy to rebuild is what i'm always after....hard to hide funds from the wife all the time:D

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
    I too considered going with a different charger, however, I alread had the sn2000, another $700 for my VR4 would put me where I wanted to be. I looked at selling my sn2000 for say 1000 if I were lucky & the 700 for hte VR$. I would need another 1500 to get the procharger. As speedy said, the rebuilds are expensive. Crap, I know how easy it's to rebuild the sn series, hence, why I went to the VR4. If I would have went with the procharger, I would have been in the same boat as I"M in now. Needing new injectors, more work and time in tuning my chip. I would have been really pissed since I've no time for my car becasue of school! Crap, I hardly ever get to drive my car because of school:( Anyway, it all comes down to what your looking for. cost effeicinet supercharger easy to rebuild is what i'm always after....hard to hide funds from the wife all the time:D
    I hear ya bro - I'm in school right now too, so any money I have left over for mods to my car needs to be spent very wisely. Lucky for me though, I don't have the wife (or girlfriend) problem you mentioned, so I'm good there.

I don't mean to be taking this off topic - again - but if you don't need to sell the stuff to pay for school (and I'm assuming that you don't) then why not just keep both the SN2000 and the VR4 upgrade kit until you finish school? How much longer do you have left before you're done? I mean, the supercharger stuff ain't gonna go bad sitting in the garage. And unless someone steals the car, it ain't goin' anywhere either. So just leave all that stuff in the garage, and come back to it when you're done school and have the time. That's what I do with my car when things get too hectic for me to play with it - just park it (on jack stands, of course), cover it (don't forget the fuel stabilizer), and come back to it later.

That's just my $0.02 bro.

Now, back on topic, I'm with you with respect to a cost-efficient supercharger that's easy to rebuild. I will be honest, I always liked the Paxton supercharger design long before I ever got this SN. But I never realized just how easy they are to rebuild. I mean, I don't care even if the thing needs to be rebuilt every year - for the effort, I'd do it!

I'm just curious as to some of the things that were (and still are) available in order to get the boost up. Of course, my motor is a stock L98 350, so I may not need to increase anything right now. But if I ever upgrade the engine (maybe build a small-block 427 or something) then it'll be important to know what I will need to do to the SN so that it will be able to keep up.
    Last edited by Michael; 09-02-2005 at 07:35 PM.

Senior SCH Member
    I have plenty of power. I dont want a roll cage, I think it will run 11 flat with the sn2000. VR4 may need a roll cage. The VR4 was a mere want for me, not a need. But I do need to sell it! My wife and I try to pay for my school cash only so we will not have any debt. Sorry if my responces have been a bit muttled, just running on very VERY little sleep!
    Last edited by Dirk Diggler; 09-06-2005 at 10:05 AM.