Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
So what's the best oil/fluid to use in a Paxton SN series blower? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So what's the best oil/fluid to use in a Paxton SN series blower?

Hey guys,

Got an email from Greg Carroll at BlowerWorks after I asked him the same question, and he suggests Amsoil Supershift.

Greg is very knowledgable with respect to these old blowers, but has anyone here ever tried this stuff?

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Why should this even be considered when the Ball Drive itself has been in use for 60 years using Type 'F' fluid at $1.50 or less a quart. I use something else in my unit but I still don't recommend anything else because of quality, price and ease of purchasing Type 'F' fluid. Until your spinning 55k rpm on your unit like I do and your done buying real speed parts for your car, Keep the Type 'F' just move on to other fluid types when your out of things to Buy. lol

Quote Originally Posted by speedytang
    Why should this even be considered when the Ball Drive itself has been in use for 60 years using Type 'F' fluid...
    I don't mean to be doubting you speedy, but according to the VS-57 installation and trouble shooting guide published by Paxton (back in the day), they recommended Type 'A' fluid (AQ-ATF).

I'm sure that Type 'A' was used because Type 'F' may not have been invented at the time. But that raises the questions: how does Type 'A' compare to Type 'F'? Can Type 'A' be used as a substitute for Type 'F'?

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Type 'A' and Type 'F' is the same thing. Back in '64 the Type 'A' fluid used by the manufactures started breaking down under the force of additional horsepower being applied to the automatic transmission so Ford and others took the chemicals that made the Type 'A' and added what they found made the clutch packs not slip under additonal line pressure and that is when Ford designed the Type 'F' and Ford also found that with the seal sealer designed in the new product they could use it in the power steering pump and it would not break down like the Type 'A' would. So we are back to why Paxton uses the Type 'F' product. It works it seals and it is cheap.

Senior SCH Member
    I was just wondering if anyone has any paxta trac fluid they would be willing to sell?

SCH Member
    I've put about 35,000 miles total on the two SN-60's I've purchased from Craig @ Paradise Wheels. He recommended that I use B & M Trick Shift which I have from the beginning (2001). I change it every 3,000 miles & also use a fluid cooler. No measurable wear so far. You couldn't pay me to use anything else.

EDIT: as son as it became available I began using the synthetic version of B&N Trick Shift. Many thousands of miles later, there have been zero problems and no need to reset ball drive preload. In fact I've never adjusted it once and the unit still produces the same boost as when new.

Z.
    Last edited by zray; 06-11-2013 at 09:11 AM.

'65 K code

Junior SCH Member
    showing up on ebay recently, not sure if some found a stash or is making it again

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone has any paxta trac fluid they would be willing to sell?
    anybody else weigh in on trick shift? or maybe something like redline MTL, its like atf but with friction modifiers so the soft syncros in euro manual trannys work properly, most fluids are too slippery for the syncros to grab , i can vouch for it being gods gift to bmw 5 speeds. i don't have a problem running F and changing it frequently, just curious if technology may of produced anything better along the way, less heat in the blower would be nice and perhaps a better fluid could do that

Quote Originally Posted by zray View Post
    I've put about 35,000 miles total on the two SN-60's I've purchaced from Craig @ Paradise Wheels. He recommended that I use B & M Trick Shift which I have from the beginning (2001). I change it every 3,000 miles & also use a fluid cooler. No measurable wear so far. You couldn't pay me to use anything else

Z.

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by winfred View Post
    showing up on ebay recently, not sure if some found a stash or is making it again

anybody else weigh in on trick shift? or maybe something like redline MTL........"
    if you're doing research, and have the inclination, call Craig @ Paradise Wheels and ask if has a new favorite lubricant.

his contact info: 760-740-0954
    conleyr107@sbcglobal.net

Z.

'65 K code

Senior SCH Member
    How much boost can you get out of paxta trac blue? And how much can you get out of the tan?

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    How much boost can you get out of paxta trac blue? And how much can you get out of the tan?
    I don't quite understand your meaning ?

Z.

'65 K code

Junior SCH Member
    I'd suspect the question is how much boost over type F fluid, a question which probably has no set answer, it would depend on amount of slippage you have at the moment that the extra grip could eliminate

Quote Originally Posted by zray View Post
    I don't quite understand your meaning ?

Z.

Junior SCH Member
    I also use B&M Trickshift, no issues so far. I just finished installing my oil cooler going to change the fluid and get ready for another season of cruisin'!

Senior SCH Member

B&M TRICK SHIFT

Regular or synthetic? What is recommended?

Senior SCH Member
    I never used b&m trickshift but i always used ford type f tranny fluid it has been working well for me. i change my fluid every 100 miles. I have no oil cooler and i have it pullied to 3.25''

Junior SCH Member
    I've been using the standard non-synthetic Trick Shift. That's what the guy I bought the s/c from had been using and he had good luck with it.