Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PAXTON GSS HELP NEEDED

Junior SCH Member
    #1.I was told that the NOVI GSS and Sn2000 are the same is this true??
    #2.I want a VR4 kit is anyone selling one and will it work in my GSS??
    #3.Is an oil cooller worth the money??
    #4.what works better inner cooler,after cooler,"boost cooler"water/methanol injection??

I also would like to buy a "head unit" pref blown up.
    so I could just swich it when I go to the track
    Last edited by broken-leg; 10-04-2005 at 12:29 AM.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    1. Same Unit, Just changed names.
    2. VR4 kit will work. None For Sale lately
    3. Oil Cooler will make a difference at high RPMs
    4. Water/Meth Injection. No boost drop and you can add alot more additional timing.

Junior SCH Member

How can I help?

I have VR-4 blowers new and used. I have all the real jigs and fixtures to build and repair these blowers as well.

The easiest way for us to do the math is:

Crank pulley / (divided by) blower pulley X (multiplied by) step up (4.4) X (multiplied by) Engine RPM

VR-4 kits were shipped from the factory with 4” blower pulleys and 6” crank pulleys. That put the impeller at 40,920. The VR-4 was built to turn 45,000 max but never came with a warranty. When I raced with this blower we ran them as high as 50,000 with an external mount oil cooler. We drilled holes in the casing and circulated Paxta-Trac through an external pump, filter and cooler.

The Novi GSS and SN2000 are NOT THE SAME. The ball driver material was different, the output shaft was different, the internal casing (housing) was different and the plunger inside the oil pump was different in material and size.

The Novi GSS was initially a 10 to 1 internal step up with sun gears like a manual transmission. They have a 65mm turbocharger impeller in them and they spin 120,000 rpm. My father wanted to keep it simple and cut cost so we build the Novi 2000 and the Novi GSS became a high end ball driven unit again. There are 50 or 60 real Novi GSS gear driven units out there and they rip! They produce 20 psi at 960cfm. It was not uncommon to see 570 to 600 horsepower at 15 psi. They were dead quiet (I mean like silent). My dad was right though, we over engineered the unit and by the time it came out 600hp was not enough.

I am happy to answer any questions that stump you guys on Paxton in general, but I will say most of you are on the right track. My dad past always 2 years ago but I know he would be proud to see so many people still waving the ball driver flag.

On behalf of all the Granatelli’s………… Thanks for the heart

J.R. Granatelli

Granatelli Motor Sports

jrgranatelli@granatellimotorsports.com