Thread: fox mustang guys, need advice on fuel pump

Junior SCH Member

fox mustang guys, need advice on fuel pump

Have an 89 GT with the following mods: 306 short block with e303 cam, gt40x heads, cobra intake, 70mm TB, 80mm pro-m mass air, 30lb injectors, frpp shorty headers, bassani x and cat back system. I have a v-1 sc trim vortech with the sc trim head unit, upgraded to an aluminum discharge pipe with bypass, anderson ford powerpipe and msd 6btm ignition. using the pulleys that came with the sc trim and seeing about 5psi of boost. I want to up the boost to 9 psi with the vortech boost upgrade kit. I'm using a frpp 190 lph fuel pump and just wondering if i would be alright by adding the t-rex inline pump or if i should upgrade the intank pump as well. Any input would be appreciated.

Junior SCH Member
    Either stick with the 190 in-tank and add the T-Rex or remove the 190 and install a GSS-340, 255 in-tank pump. The T-rex matches the 190 better. I've "heard" that if you have a 255 in-tank you should go with a matching 255 in-line otherwise the T-Rex will be a bottle neck. I have a GSS-340, 255 in-tank pump and see 10:1 (rich) AFR on my LM-1 wideband, no FMU, 1^ retard, but also have 42# inj's.
    Jeff
    '89 LX - featured in May '04 issue of 5.0 Mustang magazine
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/jefflee

92stanglx
    I'm running a Walbro 255 intake with a BBK in-line. This setup seems to work fine for me.

A friend of mine is running a much wilder setup on a 190lph/ T-rex combo so I think you'd be fine with that.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the advice guys. I think i'll just add the t-rex and be done with it for now.

Mike

This year at my dyno appt, we actually tried the bottle neck theory. I am running the 255 intank, with the T-rex. I am maxed out for fuel with my new engine and pulley arrangement at 589rwhp. I could have made more with a better fuel system Im positive! (Next years project:teeth: ) Anyway, we decided to disconnect the power and bypass the T-rex to see if it was in fact a bottleneck and ended up losing fuel, so of course I hooked it back up.
    347 J trim, Kennedys custom cam, and water/meth injection, Electromotive GT DFI
    www.momsracing.com