Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
S-Trim impeller carnage

Thread: S-Trim impeller carnage

Junior SCH Member

Unhappy S-Trim impeller carnage

Here's how to convert an S-Trim into an A-Trim.
    Friend brings the head unit over to show me this (below). Guy's and gals, make certain the rubber inlet hose for your powerpipe is secure.
    We pulled the heads off and fortunately there was no damage to the motor.
    Anyone know where I can purchase the impeller only?

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Now are we sure something went into the inlet or did the impeller bearing go bad and the impeller hit the case? Because that looks like when the impeller works itself into the case.

Junior SCH Member
    We're certain that it sucked part of the rubber powerpipe into the the impeller.
    The black coloration is from the rubber and when I disassembled the head unit the inside of the volute was also covered with rubber. The rubber came very easily with brake cleaner. There was no damage to the volute either and all the bearings were still intact and in very good condition. If I could find an impeller I could simply re-assemble it.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Wow, I am glad that I have a Billet impeller after seeing that. Good luck finding a impeller because in the past Vortech just would not sell anything over the counter in parts. Do a search on EBay for bad head units with destroyed bearings and maybe you can get something.

Junior SCH Member
    I haven't called Vortech yet because of that very reason.
    Thanks for the ebay tip.
    Jeff
    '89 LX - featured in May '04 issue of 5.0 Mustang magazine
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/jefflee

Junior SCH Member

carnage

Same thing happened to me. Motor seems fine. I have the SBC carbureted unit and it appears all the little bits and pieces went through the engine and out the exhaust like so much corn.
    The bad news was that I had to send the unit back to Vortech for a new impeller and a "minor repair" which consisted of a new bearing and seal.
    I got them to waive the cost of the impeller after I started whining about how this thing is brand new, and I didn't know, and I didn't get any customer support etc. etc.
    I don't know if you can just slap in a new impeller and expect it to work properly. There may be some high speed testing and/or balancing that goes on there at Vortech.

There is a guy on ebay who sells impellers....do a search on Vortech.
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

Check out this forum for AOD's/C4's: Click Click Racing Forums
    My Homepage

Senior SCH Member
    i cant view the pics?
    Stock Blocks are Unbreakable