Thread: belt drag vs tension ?

Senior SCH Member

belt drag vs tension ?

i haven't been here in a while :weird: , anyway.

is there any consensous on what is the best tradeoff.
    a TIGHT 6 rib. or, say, a looser 10 rib ?

a tight 6 rib adds a lot of friction on the bearings because of the tightness.
    but a looser 10 rib would add friction because of its added weight, and the drag of it.

what would be the best ?

thanx

What since a 10 rib belt weighs more? It is probably near impossible to get much more than 10 psi out of a 6rib.

I doubt in theroy assuming you had say (extreme)16 rib belt making 15 psi or a 6 rib setup making 15 psi on the exact same combos you see more than 5 HP difference. But the advantage to the crank snout and bearings would definitly be worth it plus you'd probably have a consistent 15 psi.
    I'd say <8 psi 6rib OK
    10-18 psi 8 rib
    18-24 psi 10 rib
    24 psi+ 12 rib or COG

Now this will all vary on the size of SC pulley but in general....

My 2 cents!
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

Senior SCH Member
    on my combination, i see 15psi, 6 rib. but like i said, the belt it freakin TIGHT. i bet its tighter, or at least as tight, than anybodies here. and this is with the stock pulleys, and not at max rpm (i'm just learning to tune it, and it shifts before it should). no knock what so even. no retard either. anyway, i'm worried about my bearings. my tightness can't be ok for them, i'm looking for future trouble if i don't do something about it. so, i want to upgrade to a larger belt. but thought that a heavier belt would cause bearing problems. and in the end, i would be back at square one.

i am kicking around the idea of 2 6 ribs belts. but i think a 8 or 10 rib would be better. but the thing is, i don't know of a 8 or 10 rib crank pulley for my engine.

What blower do you have and what motor setup.
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -1.42-- 60'
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

Senior SCH Member
    V2 SQ on a stock(for now) 4.3, in a 97 s10. the stock vortech kit was said to have 8psi, i got it to about 10, sometimes i would see spikes of 12psi. i then moved the blower (up 1" and in 1"), to make room for the 3" pipe to the new powerstroke intercooler. in doing so, i picked up a few psi. it has headers, modified y-pipe, no cat, 3 1/2" straight through exhaust, turn down.

anybody know where i can get a 8 or 10 rib crank pulley for a vortec sfi engine ?
    97 ex cab 3dr, black, stock 4.3, VORTECH V2 SQ / PowerStroke FMIC, A4

Try ASP.

-545 rwhp
    -1.42-- 60'