Thread: Homemade aftercooler for dragstrip only

Junior SCH Member

Exclamation Homemade aftercooler for dragstrip only

Just wondering if anybody has tried to make a aftercooler that you can only put ice in for there vortech just for the drag strip.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Look on the 2.3 Turbo Forums at the big sites because that is a common aftercooler design. I have seen them build a box around the intake tube and you unlatch the cover and put ice in and latch the lid. No lines no problems with leaks and water entering into the intake tube if a leak. Easy design and no aftercooler core. If I find pictures from my CADD software I will post but it is easy to make and you can use heavy gauge sheetmetal.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedytang
    Look on the 2.3 Turbo Forums at the big sites because that is a common aftercooler design. I have seen them build a box around the intake tube and you unlatch the cover and put ice in and latch the lid. No lines no problems with leaks and water entering into the intake tube if a leak. Easy design and no aftercooler core. If I find pictures from my CADD software I will post but it is easy to make and you can use heavy gauge sheetmetal.
    Thanks will look into it.Picks would be appreciated if you find any...

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Best verbal example:
    Take a 12" long 3" diameter tube and a sheetmetal box drill a 3" hole on both end and put the tube thru the box and mig around both end of the tube. Now cut the top off the box or drill out a 5" hole in the top and make a 5" plug or use a fuel cell lid and bolt it on the top. You done and now you can pack ice in the box and it cools the discharge tube. Make the box out of nice aluminum or thick sheetmetal to allow the unit to hold the cold and the sweat of the tube also becomes a free water injection unit. I made one 10 years ago and even sprayed liquid foam in the box for insulation. I at one time was going to custom make these for resale but always put it off. I still seen people using this idea a while back but did a search myself and now can't find any. Go ahead and retail my idea all I won't is $1 a unit. LOL

Junior SCH Member

Thumbs up

:) Thanks .I going to get some aluminum tomoorow.I have a pipe from a 6.0 ford diesel that i replaced at work same size and aluminum.Will let you know how it works out..