Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lower intake gasket

Senior SCH Member

lower intake gasket

well i think i am losing oil through the lower intake gasket in the back...its not comming out the PVC valve...is this normal for an older gasket like that to blow....or is there a speacial gasket i should use to replace it? oh by the way i finally got the 6.5" f-150 crank pulley on..i am seeing 6 lbs of boost around 5400 rpms...wooooooohoooooooooooo sweet

The boost will find the weakpoints in your engine. Clean the area and take it for a ride, make sure the oil is coming from the gasket and replace it. For the gasket just pick one up from your Ford dealer (they are usually FelPro)

Ian

if its the one on the end I'd just use some rtv sillycone. I don't like those little cork ones.

Brandon

Sorry I was thinking about upper to lower - if it is the lower, get some new lower to head gaskets from your Ford dealer, and use RTV for front and lower.

Ian

well said ian, Now will that be the blue or the black? Is there really a difference, besides pigment?

Brandon

Well I used black on my lower - no leaks when I removed it.

Ian

Senior SCH Member
    i always used black rtv sealant to cover the cork gasket in the front and the back and used the fel-pro intake to head....and gobbed the rtv in the corners where the gasket meet with the ones in the front and rear

I think the black his extra heat-resisdant

I think the Blue is just regular

But you really can't tell. I mean I just use the black to be safe :)

There is also a orange "i think" thats like a gasket maker not just for a seal.

You might want to try the orange if your not use the cork gasket. Fill it with orange gasket maker :P

Junior SCH Member
    rtv sealant works, but my buddy just picked up a rebuild kit for a 302 and it came with these very nice rubber gaskets to place there in the front and back intake gasket area
    its a summit rebuild kit, so im not sure how you might obtain them but thats a start in the right direction if you dont trust silicone or your siliconing skills :)

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    If you purchase the Fel-Pro Intake gasket set from AutoZone you will get the rubber ends if it is the new gasket part number for the 5.0. If I find my box I will post the part number because a letter was on the end of the part number.

I too have experienced issues with end-rails blowing out, can't tell you how much I spent in 1250 gaskets last year but it wasn't cheap. I finally found my cure after trying several things.

1. Took a small punch and "dimpled" the end rail contact surfaces on both the block & the lower intake, this give RTV something to hold on to.

2. A mechanic friend gave me a tube of (gasp) GM Vehicle Assembly Adhesive (part# 1#12346141). This stuff is killer!! When dry it is as tough or tougher than the original rubber seals. My buddy uses it on anything that he doesn't want to leak, intakes, oil pans, etc. and I would recommend that we all have a tube in our tool box!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

I use some stuff called the "Right Stuff". You can get it at NAPA. It comes in a squirt can(kinda like cheez whiz). It is very easy to use and I haven't had a problem with it in the 3 years I've been using it.
    Doug
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Senior SCH Member
    thanks so much for the info..im gonna change my intake gasket as soon as i get my discharge tube from our buddy here online =)

Junior SCH Member
    Dump the gaskets, use RTV only.

Senior SCH Member
    when you use rtv sealant..what color did you use...and when you used it did you apply it then let it dry first then put the intake on or what steps did you take with it...and did you glod it on thick ..please give me some pointers..thanks