Thread: Which clutch for Tremec 600 / TKO

Junior SCH Member

Which clutch for Tremec 600 / TKO

Well I was out driving my car today and I finally blew up my World Class T5. I've pretty much decided that I'm going to replace it with a Tremec 600, which requires a different clutch. My current clutch is a Spec stage II, but I think I might try something different this time around. Basically I need something that will handle about 500hp / 500 tq and has a reasonably light pedal. And of course it has to work with the 26 spline input shaft on the Tremc. I was kinda looking at Centerforce, but I'm not sure. any suggestions?

Senior SCH Member
    Nothing wrong with the Spec stuff. I have ran a few of their clutches and never had one fail.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

SCH Member
    Spec III gets my vote. As they say, crisp engagement and handles lots of torque, I think it's rated at 680 or something like that. Light pedal too.

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks guys, I'll look into getting another Spec. For comparisons sake, does anyone know what kind of power a Centerforce dual friction is supposed to handle?

I have a Anderson Hi-Rev clutch, its got 26 spline count. Holds fine behind my 500+ hp 347 combo and it's SFI approved. Lee
    1988 5.0 Mustang,, 3" flair body kit, Vortech V2 S-Trim SQ, 347 FRPP Forged Stroker, Vortech V2 S-Trim SQ, FPS 200cc Alum Heads, Comp Blower Cam, G-Force T-5, Anderson Clutch,,, ect ect ect

POWDER & CERAMIC COATING - www.pristinepc.com
    SUPERCHARGER BELT TENSIONERS- www.elkperformance.com

I wanna get my kicks before the whole $hithouse goes up in flames -

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike9250
    Thanks guys, I'll look into getting another Spec. For comparisons sake, does anyone know what kind of power a Centerforce dual friction is supposed to handle?
    I don't think they're as high as the Spec III.

I've read that the centerforce clutches don't apply the full clamping pressure until the higher rev's and that in some cases they tend to slip before they reach that point, but since I've never had one myself I can't vouch for that.

You may want to talk to Rick at Anderson Ford, he seems to give me good info from his extensive experience. In my experience with Rick, he doesn't try to sell me something if it won't work in my situation just to make a sale.

Anyone else here had a Centerforce clutch, and can comment???

I have destroyed 2 Centerforce Dual frictions in my car. I will say that its a nice unit for a MILD street car. Add some serious HP along with some sticky tires and forget it! When I first installed the CF, my car was only running Nittos and 365 RWHP. Shortly after running the ET Streets, it signed off. I should have given up and gone with something else, but nooooo.. Spec clutches are excellent and they have something for most HP applications. I have a stage 5 in my car. Its grabby and Im finally used to it, but at the track with the slicks, the car is violent!
    347 J trim, Kennedys custom cam, and water/meth injection, Electromotive GT DFI
    www.momsracing.com

Junior SCH Member
    Cool, thanks again for the info. Slight subject change, but I'm thinking about upgrading my flywheel to a steel piece instead of cast iron when I do the clutch and trans. Is this a good idea or should I save my money?

Its about $250. I would.
    347 J trim, Kennedys custom cam, and water/meth injection, Electromotive GT DFI
    www.momsracing.com

SCH Member
    I would do that for sure. As an added benefit, they are much less likely to explode and take your feet off at the ankles. You might want to put it all inside a scattershield too.