Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
stock cam

Thread: stock cam

Junior SCH Member

stock cam

i was told that a stock roller cam would work good with blower is this true if so whitch one is best

Junior SCH Member
    The stock cam will work OK with a blower but a blower grind cam
    is the best way to go I think. There are so many out there that it depends on your application on which one to use.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    I use a stock cam in my daily driver making 12psi and enjoy no idle issues and it builds power, lots of daily driven power. I built a 347 with dual blowers last year and used one of those custom blower cams and it only made 12 gross hp. over the stock 5.0 cam and was rough to get to idle under 1200 rpm and really didn't expand my rev rpm either. I put the stock cam back in. I just don't see the $200+ on a cam as a good investment for any of my engine combinations. The money is better spent buying a water/meth injection and add more timing under boost to get a nice increase in hp.

Senior SCH Member
    I have been 10.0@137 with a stock cam and a Novi 2k. I am sure there is better, but you might want to spend the money elsewhere.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

Stock cam will work fine. Are there better?....of course. The Real Street class is living proof though the stock cam can make power. There are plenty of 500+ rwhp blower cars running reasonable boost levels using the stock camshaft.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RSNovi
    I have been 10.0@137 with a stock cam and a Novi 2k. I am sure there is better, but you might want to spend the money elsewhere.
    Thats awesome!:blob:
    347 J trim, Kennedys custom cam, and water/meth injection, Electromotive GT DFI
    www.momsracing.com

SCH Member
    The stock cam is a good one especially if you increase rocker size. Idles great and the added lift makes a good combo.

Junior SCH Member
    is there any particular grind number or year that works best

SCH Member
    Works best for what NA or supercharged? Look at it like this, if your car is pretty much stock than a cam change isn't gonna do you much good. In fact you can hurt performance by putting in the wrong cam. Change your heads improve your exhaust and do all of your basic bolt ons before you start worrying about a cam.

(87-95) as far as I know( someone correct me if Im wrong) but I believe they all sport the same cam. The stock cam is a good grind I've seen guys run 12's with it. I ran 13.6@106mph with mine.

92stanglx
    Quote Originally Posted by marc lail
    is there any particular grind number or year that works best
    Post your combo. That will probably help with the answer.