Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Pulley alignment - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pulley alignment

Ive emailed Bob....have to see what sort of price it is, before buying, as it may or may not work. At present I dont have the required clearance.

BUT. as my crank pulley was originally intended for a 50mm cogged belt, and I had it machined to suit ribbed belts. Im not using the outer 1/2" or so of the pulley.
    I could machine this down and gain a fair bit of clearance, which might just be enough.

My blower bracket is actually about 15mm steel. I opted for steel, rather than alloy, as the V2-SQ guys get flex when using it.

Thanks again for any comments. Sooner or later I will have a reliable, slip free belt drive system.

Some guys down under just told me to get used to it throwing belts.....no thanks.

Bob would need pics of your setup to see what would work.
    1998 Pontiac Formula
    YSi, 348ci, 8.2:1, T400, TCT Converter, Moser 9"
    680-754rwhp
    9.40@143.7 | 1.35 | 3440 Raceweight 10.8.05
    Pics: www.psj.ls1tech.com

I sent him pics, although I guess its still difficult.

I dont have clearance at present, so would need new pulleys, as mine are currently for 14CR and 12SC belts.

If I got both machined down to accept say an 8 rib, they would both be in line, and should have room for the brace.

I guess he cant make a brace until I do that though :(

I'll maybe get crank machined down to 10 rib first, and see what clearance that leaves me.

Bits of everything on this damn car :D

Senior SCH Member
    I wonder if a dual idler like the one shown below would help you out any?

I made my own blower and water pump pulleys along with brackets to mount alt on driver side.

The way I went about it was attaching a straight edge with C-clamps to the Crank pulley, then using depth mics to measure to one of the ridges of pulley?

Where are you located roughly?

I have been thinking about additional idlers too, but space is tight. I think if a brace can be fitted, it will solve my problems, as I should be able to tighten belt without worry of damaging bearings..
    But alignment is first thing on the checklist once I get the laser tool.

My layout is similar to yours and Blownby's, except mine is on the opposite side of the engine.

I'm in the United Kingdom. Which is crap as sourcing parts takes ages.

Senior SCH Member
    I was thinking about this last night and since you mentioned that you had your pulley custom made this had crossed my mind. I hope you veiw the pic ok.

Anyway, the teeth should have a nice smooth radius to them, if they are sharp in any way this could also cause the belt to shred.

Pulleys were made by ASP, so I take them to be good....

As for alignment accuracy. That one is down to me, and could be an issue.

ASP also custom made mine so the ribs should be good.
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

Senior SCH Member
    Guys, just because XXX company happen to make it, dont think that it is to spec. Accidents happen or sometimes things are over looked. I am not saying in anyway that they are wrong but it does not take that long just to verfiy.

This is coming from a machinist who makes mistakes but luckily I catch them most of the time.