Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Tuning questions, use fmu and btm or not?

Thread: Tuning questions, use fmu and btm or not?

Junior SCH Member

Tuning questions, use fmu and btm or not?

My major mods are in my sig, along with an a9m ecm. I plan on getting my car tuned soon. I dont plan on trying to break any records, I am looking to make a safe 450-480rwhp (I wont complain if it makes more, Ill just start saving for a dart block, lol.)
    On another sit someone made the suggestion of using the fmu with my setup. I will be having the car dynotuned w/ a wideband and a custom chip will be burned. can you give me any reason that I should put the fmu on my car? If I was to do it, Is the 4:1 disk the right one with the 42s?
    My next question has to do with the btm. does any body use them on a properly tuned vehicle. Here is my train of thought and reasoning why I may hook mine up. Have the car tuned with the btnm set @ 2. That would be the everyday normal setup, now if I was going to the track in perfect conditions (cool and dry) with some race fuel I can dial back the retard. The other situation would be the extreme opposite, hot, humid, poor quality fuel, I would then add some more retard. It is just logical train of thought. What I need to know is will it work the way I describe?
    88 lx notch: 331, dss dished pistons, v2 s-trim (3.33 upper 6.87 lower), afr165s, cobra intake 65mmtb, e303 cam, scorpion 1.6 rr, LMAF, #42 lb inj, 255 intank, t-rex, kirban regulator, stock lines and rails. needs a tune.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    You don't need a FMU with 42lb injectors. Get a tune with a Flip chip with a couple different tunes.

Junior SCH Member
    I used JMS for a 4 program chip. They told me I wouldn't need to use the timing retard feature on my MSD btm. The timing curve is programed in the chip. As for fuel I have a Cartech fuel system with a boost sensitive regulator. I don't need a FMU. Lot easier to deal with.

SCH Member
    42lb injectors are gonna dump enough fuel by themselves so you won't need an FMU. Now I have a BTM on my car but its set to zero. I was going to remove it but the tuner suggested that I keep it on in case I ever get a batch of bad gas I could retard the timing down.

Junior SCH Member

chip

Quote Originally Posted by Wedonthaveit
    I used JMS for a 4 program chip. They told me I wouldn't need to use the timing retard feature on my MSD btm. The timing curve is programed in the chip. As for fuel I have a Cartech fuel system with a boost sensitive regulator. I don't need a FMU. Lot easier to deal with.
    where can i get a chip made and body got a number or website

I would get a PMS and tune it myself personally without a btm or FMU.
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

Check out this forum for AOD's/C4's: Click Click Racing Forums
    My Homepage