Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Need firewall ideas for hatchback fox body

Thread: Need firewall ideas for hatchback fox body

Senior SCH Member

Need firewall ideas for hatchback fox body

I’m trying to fit 6 a gallon fuel cell and water tank in the back of the hatch, along with two batteries. You can see how I have everything arranged below:

The problem I’m facing now is how to build an NHRA-legal firewall. Way back when I first started this project, I planned to use a Wolfe Race Craft aluminum firewall. However, with the anticipated placement of the batteries, it is no longer possible to install this firewall (it doesn’t fit). So I’m looking for ideas on what to do now for a firewall now.

My best idea so far is highlighted in light green above (which depicts the proposed contour of the replacement firewall). One problem with this idea is that it doesn’t block the shock tower access panel, which essentially creates a giant hole for fuel and other nasties to slip by. So I’m looking for ideas on how to deal with this problem. I know one option is to move the batteries to the side, but I don’t want to do this for two reasons. First, it will mean serious amounts of trim have to be removed to accommodate the batteries. Second, I’ve already installed the brackets to anchor the batteries to (below), and it would be a shame to not use them.

So let me hear your ideas (or see how you solved a similar problem). I don’t care how crazy they might be, so long as they work.
    David

'03 Mach 1 (Fun)
    '88 GT Hatchback (Fun squared)

1986 Ford Mustang- 363 ysi-trim... Full weight, STREET DRIVIN!
    9.36@149.7 with 17 lbs of boost

2001 Ford F-150 Lightning

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks - but the WRC firewall isn't compatible with having the batteries located where they are. Someone over at HC50 had a pretty clever idea - so clever that I thought it was worth sharing on this board...

http://bbs.hardcore50.com/vbulletin/...d=1#post242837
    David

'03 Mach 1 (Fun)
    '88 GT Hatchback (Fun squared)