Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

How to tell, A vs S trim
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to tell, A vs S trim

Junior SCH Member

How to tell, A vs S trim

How can I tell the difference between an A trim and an S trim head unit? Is there anything on the plate or serial # that i can verify? Does the impeller look different? Any pics? Thanks

Senior SCH Member
    a trim the blades are straight, the s-trim they are curved...

also i belive the b trim which is pre s-trim was also a straight blade but i have never seen one
    --
    93 GT

Junior SCH Member
    Does anyone have a pic of an S-trim impeller vs. an A-trim? Thanks for the quick reply!

SCH Member
    I need to know the same thing, becuase i bought an older head unit.. 4-6 years old, and couldnt get any info on it, since vortech doesnt keep track of the older ones. It seems to only make 8lbs of boost no matter how much i pulley the thing. PowerPipe, 2.95/7" should be making more then 8lbs on any motor!
    Vibrant Red 94GT

Senior SCH Member
    this is the "s-trim", im still looking for the pics from when it was a "a-trim"

--
    93 GT

Senior SCH Member
    a-trim

--
    93 GT

Junior SCH Member
    You can definitely tell just by the size of the intake! Also you're right, I thought i had seen that old my old A-trim but wasn't sure. The impeller is straight pitched. Great, thanks so much!!

PS - what are those hex bolts on your head unit?

Senior SCH Member
    i have no idea what that is for
    --
    93 GT

Junior SCH Member
    Yo Modo, I heard ya only made 420 at the wheels or something at laroccas, what's the deal?! Haha.. Rob told me about you and your freakish combo.. Sounds sick, can't wait to see it.. Thanks for the info here though, BTW - if you got a line on an MSD 6BTM let me know I need one ASAP!! Thanks.

Brandon
    aka - VzkillerB

Senior SCH Member
    yeah, found out the timing marks on the balancer are off and the timing in the chip is based off the wrong number. i need to get a new balancer and double check the marks
    --
    93 GT

Junior SCH Member
    well that just sucks man, i'm sure you'll get it fixed soon right? So by the way, was it spun on the crank or what? What type of balancer was/is it? Rob is always talking about you and your car.. haha.. he's a little jealous i think! talk to ya.

Brandon

Senior SCH Member
    its a motorsports steel sfi one... we spent a lot of time playing with it on the dyno and from what the marks said the car should have been pinging and melting pistons. we pulled #1 spark plug and found tdc , sure enough the marks are way off... more like out to lunch.

jimmy recommended the innovative west balancer since it has timing marks 360 degress around the balancer. im gonna use a piston stop to make sure its at tdc, then go back to him.

it sucks but im really glad we found out what it was since with the the stock motor and the s-trim the car made 350 rwhp and now its only making 412.

it will be fixed soon.

later ,

d
    --
    93 GT

Junior SCH Member
    For now why don't you just use the balancer you have and just re-mark it? just take the measurement between the original markings, then find TDC, mark a line then from that line make your additional marks for 1,2,3,4, etc. Might as well since the balancer is junk anyways, just use a scribe or a pick to scratch it in. RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG - ;) Later

Senior SCH Member
    im going to put a stock balancer on for shits and giggles to see where the timing is actually at right now. that way before i buy a new balancer i will know for sure that thats the problem.

i have marking tape and all that stuff but i don't like this balancer to begin with and since i have a leaky water pump gasket im just going to tear it all apart anyways.
    --
    93 GT

Junior SCH Member
    Ah man, ain't that a PITA. You know water pumps suck with a charger, everythings gotta come off. One time I broke off one of the water pump bolts, I had a powerdyne on it at the time, ended up pulling the engine and turning it into a 347 stroker! haha.. i go to extremes but it was fun.. Car was down for a few months.