Thread: msd boost timing master

Junior SCH Member

msd boost timing master

hi as i am still gettin parts together for my procharger install do i need one of msds boost timing masters and if so why
    thanks jay

No not necassar but they are nice for a mid boost street car. It will basically pull timing as you build boost..

ie. set it a 2 and for every 1# of boost it will pull 2* of timing up to it's max of 10 or 15* Not sure which one.

set it a 1 and for every 1# of boost it will pull 1* of timing up to it's max
    etc
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BLOWNBY
    No not necassar but they are nice for a mid boost street car. It will basically pull timing as you build boost..

ie. set it a 2 and for every 1# of boost it will pull 2* of timing up to it's max of 10 or 15* Not sure which one.

set it a 1 and for every 1# of boost it will pull 1* of timing up to it's max
    etc
    thanks blownby allways can count on you for help
    when you say not nessesary is that if your runnin suficiant intercooling
    the procharger i have is gonna run 20psi there abouts
    i have just found out that the boost timing master only works with vac advance dissys how do i take timing out with a dissy without vac advance

thanks again jay

As for necassary you can tune with or with out it. Many feel that when you have 20 psi or more it is better to lock your timing at say 25 degress and go from there. I run 30* initial spout out and set my BTM to ~1/3 to 1/2. The down side is if it goes bad then I have 30* at 22 psi and will probably go BOOM.:shocked:

Whoever is tuning your car should tell you one way or the other.

When you say dissy you mean distributor?

I assume you are runing a MSD 6A or 6AL, and plan to attach the BTM? If so the BTM just gets plugged into a vacuum line. It then controls the spark of the 6AL to adjust the timing.

Also do youhave a stock computer still?
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -1.42-- 60'
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

Junior SCH Member
    As for necassary you can tune with or with out it. Many feel that when you have 20 psi or more it is better to lock your timing at say 25 degress and go from there. I run 30* initial spout out and set my BTM to ~1/3 to 1/2. The down side is if it goes bad then I have 30* at 22 psi and will probably go BOOM.:shocked:

Whoever is tuning your car should tell you one way or the other.

When you say dissy you mean distributor?

I assume you are runing a MSD 6A or 6AL, and plan to attach the BTM? If so the BTM just gets plugged into a vacuum line. It then controls the spark of the 6AL to adjust the timing.

Also do youhave a stock computer still?
    thanks for the quick reply
    yes i do mean distributor
    i have a msd digital six if the boost timing master plugs into a vacume line as my distributor does not have vac advance were would be the best place to take it from

the car is runnin blow thru carb so does not have a computer i take it this is what you mean

as for the person who is tuning my car has never done a procharger blow thru install befor so i am trying to gather all the infomation i can to make things a bit easy not many people in the uk run prochargers i know of only two
    thanks jay

Well you'll want to get some opinions from the blow thru guru's as I am not one. But my BTM plugs into a vaccum line off the main vacuum tree on the smaller one that controls the heater section.. Don't think it really matters where. All vacuum lines should read the same.

-545 rwhp
    -1.42-- 60'

Junior SCH Member
    Well you'll want to get some opinions from the blow thru guru's as I am not one. But my BTM plugs into a vaccum line off the main vacuum tree on the smaller one that controls the heater section.. Don't think it really matters where. All vacuum lines should read the same.
    thanks again mate much appreciated
    jay