Thread: Smog pump problem

Junior SCH Member

Smog pump problem

Hey guys I was just curious to know if anyone has put a novi 1000 on a fox body car and didn't use the smog pump. I live in the great state of Florida and as many of you know we don't have any emission controls here. When I bought my 90 LX hatch the smog pump was already eliminated and I was just curious if anyone has put the novi 1000 on without using any sort of smog pump or smog pump eliminator bracket. I am just trying to find out if I will have to spend the 80 dollars for the smog pump eliminator kit in order to install the novi kit. Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Junior SCH Member
    I dont have the smog pump on my car or the eliminator kit. Sorry I dont have any pics of it but all I did was use a piece of flat bar about 1/2" thick and about 8' long that had a little curve at one end (to make it around the alternator)Then just bolt it from the top alt. mounting hole to one of the holes in the supercharger bracket. It is very simple.

Junior SCH Member
    What was the purpose of the flat bar? Sorry like I said I haven't yet got the kit but I have read the install instructions and they said you needed the smog pump. SO what do you accomplish by using the flat bar? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rowdie-stang
    I dont have the smog pump on my car or the eliminator kit. Sorry I dont have any pics of it but all I did was use a piece of flat bar about 1/2" thick and about 8' long that had a little curve at one end (to make it around the alternator)Then just bolt it from the top alt. mounting hole to one of the holes in the supercharger bracket. It is very simple.

SCH Member
    Run no smog and no AC and use the AC location for the alternator. PM me or Regettacoupe for info. ONLY way to do, **** smog and AC :)

Junior SCH Member
    The alt. uses a small bracket that bolts to the bottom of the smog pump. If there is no smog pump to bolt to you must use the flat bar to bolt the alt to the bracket. I got this idea from 5150lx, he has pics. YOu must also use an idler pulley on the top right of the supercharger bracket for the correct routing of the belt unless you use a standard rotation water pump