Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought N2K need some advice

Junior SCH Member

Just bought N2K need some advice

Well I am new and have a couple of ? I just bought a used 2k for a good deal. But I get it and it has 3 impeller fins that have been damaged. I cant tell if they have been welded or just bent and then bent back. Is this a cause to be alarmed? They look well repaired and have been smoothed. I know these spin at around 40-50k so just wanted some advice. Really done have the cash to send to Paxton. Everything looks and feels tight. Wont be used to race mainly to tow or just cruise. Also was wondering if anyone can give me a rough estimate on boost numbers on SBC. Combo is

383 SBC, Sportsman 2 heads, Comp 270HR roller, Performer RPM air gap, 750 DP, 1 5/8 headers, Flowmasters, 8/3.5 pulleys, Peak power at about 5500-5800 rpm.

any help would be appreciated. Thanks for helping the Newb.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Forget it if the impeller has been damaged because the balance is probably off and now everything is brittle . Do you have a digital so you can take pictures and post.

Junior SCH Member
    Yes I will post pics later tonight. Thanks

Yeah I'd be concerned about the balancing as well. Plus if something let's lose you'll have some engine damage. :shocked: Don't risk you rmotor!

It may seem OK while you spin it at 300 rpm's but at 40,000+ watch out?
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

Junior SCH Member
    Can I just email the pic to somebody that can tell me whats up with this blower? Did Paxton grind on or polish the impeller to balance it? Thats what it looks like. All the tolerances are correct and the fins are straight but 3 fins in a row have marks on them from grinding and polishing. Thanks for the help guys

oh yeah can anyone tell me about boost numbers?

put the picture in your photopost area or send it to speedy.stang@netzero.com

Junior SCH Member
    I had the same thing on my Novi 2000. It is for balancing. It looks like someone grinded the blades as if they took off some metal. I had no problem with mine. I'm not saying that it's not damaged. You should just make sure. I would like to see those pics.

Junior SCH Member
    Picture uploaded. Thanks Guys

Is that Weld or that liquid Cold Weld around the blades. I can not really make it out. I wonder if something fell into the unit and broke the base of the blades away from the impeller shaft.

SCH Member
    those are balancing marks

Junior SCH Member
    Does anyone else think these are balancing marks? I need a couple more opinions. thanks

SCH Member
    ive own about 6 novi 2000's in my renegade lifetime... they ALL were like that and none of them had problems.. i am 99.999999999999999% sure those are for balancing

Junior SCH Member
    Cool, thanks for the replies. I was hoping someone would say that it wasnt toast. I bought it planning to use as is. Dont have the cash to fix it. What about boost numbers? Thanks

Junior SCH Member
    Anybody else want to chime in on this? With all due respect Hawaiian I'd like another opinion to ease my mind. Thanks

SCH Member
    no prob
    www.kurganmotorsports.com
    WINNING races with AEM, PMS, FAST, and EPEC

N.M.R.A.
    2004 EFI Renegade B.G. Champion
    2005 EFI Renegade Bradenton Champion
    2005 EFI Renegade Kansas City Champion
    2005 EFI Renegade RT 66 Runner-Up
    2006 Drag Radial Reynolds, GA Champion
    2006 Drag Radial B.G. Champion

Email Bob@Kurganmotorsports.com or visit www.kurganmotorsports.com with your mustang needs!