Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
All you 8" crank pulley, single belt guys in here please..

Thread: All you 8" crank pulley, single belt guys in here please..

All you 8" crank pulley, single belt guys in here please..

Ok, for the past year I have been working on and off with this car. Haven't even driven it in the past 18 months because of this problem. I bought an 8" crank pulley almost 2 years ago and have always had a clearance issue. So I kept getting the pulley milled down hoping it would fit. I finally got the car all back together and started her up for the first time in almost a year. Still having problems. Here is some pictures I was able to take today. The thing I don't get is I have run both the stock water pump and an aftermarket one with a Cobra pulley on it. Even had the lip on the Cobra water pump pulley milled off. I am at a loss here....

Elevation kills boost!
    LX = 13.47 @ 102.49, 1.80 60', at 6900' DA
    Cobra = 12.82 @ 109.25, 1.98 60' at 5400' DA

Junior SCH Member
    Man that sucks.... Sorry I dont have any help for you but I hope you figure it out because I was about to order the same pulley.

SCH Member
    Put back on the stock crank pulley if you have to, 18 months is a *****!

Well it wasn't that big of a deal when I still had the Cobra. But since it's gone I am starting to go through withdrawls. I think I may just head to the machine shop and have them take about a 1/4" off the diameter of the water pump pulley when they make me a knew one. That seems like it would be the cheapest route right now. I have 2 more water pumps here incase I over spin it and cause problems. I just don't feel like throwing the money into an electric water pump and fan right now.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

Arrow

Chris,

When I had my single belt Novi 1k and 8" crank pulley setup I used what was at the time a custom made ASP 8" crank pulley and a standard issue cobra water pump pulley.

I had to have the lip on my 8" crank pulley shaved down some and I had nothing done to the cobra water pump pulley.

The fit between the cobra water pump pulley and the 8" crank pulley is going to be "TIGHT" and it is going to be so tight that in order for you to replace/remove the belt you are going to have to loosen up the cobra water pump pulley's bolts and finagle the belt out or remove the cobra water pump pulley completely to remove the belt.

As long as there is "no squeal/squeek" or any audible noises you are a-okay!

As I said the clearance is going to be so tight that it has only enough clearance for the belt to turn, but it will work.

I had that setup for several years.

What I would suggest is the following:

1.) Have the lip on the crank pulley shaved down a little more.
    2.) Have the lip of the cobra water pump pulley (closet to water pump) shave down some.

If you have any more question post them up, I'll help you out as much as I can.

Happy New Year,

Chris
    Chris...

Current beast: 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra #379 - slated up for a windsor and some boost

Stangs and other SVT products I've owned...

2001 F150 SVT Lightning (Silver)
    JDM Stage 1 & 2 kit and 3k+ worth of audiosex
    [ sold... ]

91 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Novi 1000 - 8" Crank Powered & Nitrous Works Powered R.I.P. Friend, it was fun! [ sold... ]

93 Ford Mustang Cobra #4549 w/an s-trim and all the goodies(Metallic Teal) [ sold... ]

#001 8" Crank Pulley Club

Frank Woodall: I would "never" trailer my car.......to me , that would be like dating a "Penthouse Pet" and not having sex with her....... :D

"ALWAYS OUT NUMBERED, NEVER OUT GUNNED"

Mustang Videos! Watch'em, upload'em and we host them at:

Thanks for the response Chris. I had the lip on the crank pulley milled down so that it was completely even with the belt. I also had the lip on the Cobra w/p pulley milled off. I still think there was rubbing because of how much belt dust there is all over the place. I finally got tired of dealing with it and ordered an electric fan and an electric water pump. If this doesn't fix my problems, then I am pretty lame at fixing things! :laugh: I was thinking about going back to the machine shop to have them make me a new water pump pulley about 1/4" smaller than the Cobra one, but I am afraid I will end up over spinning the w/p and have other issues. With the 8" crank and teh Cobra w/p pulley, I am sure the water pump is spinning faster than it wants to, let alone if I had a smaller w/p pulley. I should have the fan and pump next week so we'll see how it goes.

Again, thanks for the response!

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

This has become a joke anymore. The electric water pump sticks out more and is thicker than the water pump pulley was. I can't even get the 8" pulley to bolt up because of the electric water pump. Guess I am going to pick up an F-150 pulley today from a local junk yard to see if that will even bolt up. Sometimes I just wonder if I should part the car out and be done with it :angry:
    Elevation kills boost!

Junior SCH Member
    Any updates??
    94 Cobra
    Stock H/C/I
    12.97 @ 106.15
    1.71 60' w/ Nitto drag radials

Sorry it's been a while. Selling my house, about to have the new one being built finished, expecting our 2nd son by the end of the month, plus work and travel. Just gets kind of busy.

The F-150 pulley bolted right up. I was able to get the car started. Still haven't driven it anywhere. Need to get a flat bed to haul it over to the new house where it will have a 3rd garage of its own finally! :D Then maybe I can work on the car some more. Seems to idle fine, but if I stab the throttle the belt squeals. Need to tighten it up and see if that fixes the problem. Just haven't had the time lately. I have an 8" pulley for sale if somebody wants it.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!