Thread: Fixed position idler?

Junior SCH Member

Question Fixed position idler?

I have an S-Trim V1 blow-through, carbureted system that I am installing on my Dodge 360 Magnum engine in an early (1972) Plymouth Valiant. Nobody makes a kit for these, so I am trying to make my own, so to speak.

I was wondering if it's okay to run a static (fixed-position) idler instead of a spring-loaded idler. I really can't figure out a practical way to position (and mount) a spring-loaded idler in this system, so I have mounted a "fixed position" idler pulley close to the top pulley, so that it acts as a belt adjuster and also increases belt wrap around the top pulley.

Is this unusual, or even workable, not having a spring-loaded idler pulley setup? I am using a 6-rib Polycog serpentine belt, and will only be looking for 5-6 pounds of boost, max.

I have no clue as to how tight to make the belt. It doesn't drive anything but the blower.

Any information or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bill Dedman; 12-21-2005 at 02:03 AM. Reason: add attachment
    Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

Senior SCH Member
    the fox body s trims only come with a manual set idler as well. So I cant see why that set up in the pic wouldnt work for the blower drive. Good Luck Nice to see people get creative. I assume they dont sell a kit for that year car?
    1990 GT Convertible

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the information. Maybe it'll work okay after all.

No, I could have used a Dakota kit, but that kit places the blower pretty much on top of the engine, and my car doesn't have hood clearance for a setup like that.... so, I had to put the battery in the trunk and mount the blower where the battery used to be located. By doing so, I won't have to modify my hood in any way; everything fits without a scoop.

Yep do not fear the static tensioner, most kits these days use them.

Ian

Junior SCH Member

One more thing...

Thanks for that information. I will do my best to make this work, but I am not sure about how much belt tension might be required, nor how to measure it.

My gut feeling just says "TIGHT," but I don't want to destroy my front main bearing, or the bearings in this new Vortech head unit. As you can see in the picture, I have lots of belt-wrap at the blower pulley, and a little over 180 degrees at the 7" crank pulley, bearing in mind that this 6-rib serpentine belt only drives the blower; nothing else. I don't see this combination making more than 5 or 6 pounds of boost, so maybe I won't need a HUGE amount of tension.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any information on this.

Bill
    Last edited by bill Dedman; 12-22-2005 at 08:48 PM. Reason: correct spelling error