Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Alternator and smog pump Q............

Thread: Alternator and smog pump Q............

Junior SCH Member

Alternator and smog pump Q............

Is anyone here running their alternator in the smog pump location.
    I have done a search and found it has been asked before but no real info.
    I will probably just run a delete in place of the smog pump but would really like to see if there is a way to mount it further up closer to the blower head unit.

thanks!

Senior SCH Member
    I just bought a turn buckle from March and made a custom spacer. Then I was able to use the original alternator location without anything in the smog pump location.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

Junior SCH Member
    I tried to figure this out myself in the trial fitting stage. When I put the new engine combo in, I used the 1 inch set-back holes on my aftermarket K-member. Well come to find out the alternator was gonna hit the sway bar. There is less than 3/4 inch clearance to the sway bar with the engine in the stock location. I was not going to lose the bar so I had to make the alternator move up to where the smog pump was.

First I had to re-clock the back of the alt to move the wiring harness away from the blower bracket. Then, the alt was too large to fit in the spot where the smog pump was. I cut a 1.5inch section out of the braket to make more room for the alt. I used the spacer from the smog pump and a washer to fit the alt in place.

You can see how the wires and the belt alignment is no longer an issue.
    Also you can see how tight the alt and sway bar bracket are to each other.
    In the nex shot of the front, you can see I still need to make a curved bracket for the bottom of the alternator to mount to the blower bracket.

Here is a top shot showing the belt routing and the fact that you will have to get a shorter belt. Took 4 visits to the parts store to get the right belt. I haven't run the engine yet so I can't comment on performance. It should be fine.

Here is a pic of the almost final product.

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the info and awsome pics.
    Looks good!

Junior SCH Member

Exclamation

Thanks! That solved ONE of my problems!:obscene:

5.0 in a Ranger and installing a V1...no room for the alternator because of frame interference.

How about a belt part#? Mabe a trip or two saved to the parts store!;)