Thread: Blown Head Gasket!!!!

Junior SCH Member

Blown Head Gasket!!!!

I just installed a vortech s-trim supercharger on my 5.0 mustang and I installed my boost gauge and the first time that I got on it full throttle (pulling 5-6lbs. boost) one of the head gaskets blew. My question is should I o-ring the heads and run an o-ring type head gasket or should I run a cometic gasket? I believe the reason that I blew the head gasket was because I had some detonation. Once I get it back together it will be going right down to the tuner, but I first have to get it back together. Any help would be appreciated.

Any mods besides supercharger?

Are you using an FMU?

Did you install a larger fuel pump?

Ian

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    6psi with total timing of 34 degrees, no head gasket would last so get a tune because your total timing should have been around 22 degrees with 92octane to be safe till you had your A/F ratio checked. Just remember that one of the big design flaws with the 5.0 is not enough head bolts which just saved you from replacing pistons. I build over 500whp with stock type gaskets and if something does fail with my electronics at least I am only replacing head gaskets and not pistons and rods.

Junior SCH Member

RE:

I am running a stock block and crank with DSS pro forged pistons and eagle rods bored 40 over. I have the complete holley systemax kit on the car with a 255 intank fuel pump with 42lb injectors. The mass air is an 80mm C&l. I have also upgraded the hardline fuel rails to -6an stainless braided lines and I am not running an fmu. Do you guys think it would be worth spending $100 on getting the heads o-ringed or should I buy a cometic type head gasket? Thanks for all your help.

I ran GT-40 iron heads that were O-Ringed for about 10 years without a problem, pushing 14 lbs of boost and sometimes a 75 shot of NOS. When I switched to Aluminum heads, I went with a MLS gasket from Mr. Gasket. I have 1000 miles on the new set up and about 5 runs at the track, no problems yet. You have to make sure you have the correct milling on the heads and deck for a MLS gasket, they require a super smooth surface... Lee
    1988 5.0 Mustang,, 3" flair body kit, Vortech V2 S-Trim SQ, 347 FRPP Forged Stroker, Vortech V2 S-Trim SQ, FPS 200cc Alum Heads, Comp Blower Cam, G-Force T-5, Anderson Clutch,,, ect ect ect

POWDER & CERAMIC COATING - www.pristinepc.com
    SUPERCHARGER BELT TENSIONERS- www.elkperformance.com

I wanna get my kicks before the whole $hithouse goes up in flames -

Junior SCH Member
    i had one of my graphite head gaskets blow up and when i did my head swap i went with the cometic and have not had any problem with them....
    Jimmy Cook

1990 Mustang GT
    K&N Air Filter, Pro-M 80mm MAF Calib. for S/C w/42lbs Injectors, AFM Power Pipe, Vortech S-Trim, 6.67" 8rib Crank Pulley, 2.75" Supercharger Pulley, PSI unknown as of now, BBK 75MM TB, GT-40 Tubular Upper & Lower Intake, 1" Trick Flow Spacer, 42lb FMS Injectors, BBK Adj. FPR, BBK 255lph fuel pump Intank, Stock GT-40P 302 Roller shortblock, Ford Racing X303 Heads, Cometic head gaskets, Crane 2031 Cam, Crane 1.72 Roller Rockers. BBK 1 5/8 Shorty Equal Headers, BBK X-Pipe w/o cats, 2 Chamber Flowmasters, '04 PMS, 3-Bar Map, InterACQ, UEGO 2000 Wideband Kit, MSD 6BTM box/Accel Super Coil, HD King Cobra Clutch, World Class HD T-5, PRO 5.0 Shifter, FRPP Alum. Driveshaft, Posi 3.73 gears, Lakewood Lift Bars, Complete Poly Bushing kit, Weld-in sub-connectors, Nitto 555R tires