Thread: Extrude hone the volute??????

Junior SCH Member

Extrude hone the volute??????

Here in Massachusetts a couple of guys are extrude honing their volutes. Does anyone have any idea if this works in helping the blower make more power or not.

I was thinking it wouldn't because the blower is governed by its speed and cfm rather than its less restrictive volute.

See ya. Michael Plummer
    94 Mustang GT
    545rwhp w/P600B on race gas
    533rwhp w/D1 on pump gas
    new combo coming soon

Junior SCH Member
    I would think that only in the most extreme cases would this be necessary and I would only do it then if the manufacturer said it would help.
    Bill Lovelace
    1991 Mustang - F2/347
    8.93/153

Junior SCH Member
    Unless it's a six second car with an F-3, it would be a total waste of time and money...
    1997 Aztec Gold GT F-2 Procharged 4V

Junior SCH Member
    I know that there is alot of time spent working on the proper impeller to volute clearances and scroll and throat sizes at ATI. If you were to simply extrude hone the volute I would have to guess that the potential gain of air flow might be offset by the changing of the "specs" that ATI has built into the unit. Just my observation........

Chris

Junior SCH Member
    Right. The closer the blades are to the housing itself, the more efficient the blower will be. Glad to see you on here, Chris I always forget your name is Injected65...
    ---Adam
    1997 Aztec Gold GT F-2 Procharged 4V

Junior SCH Member

Paging Mike Freedman

Hi there,
    Seeing that Mike Freedman is now a moderator here, lets see what he has to say. I still stand by my 1st thought that it won't help.
    See ya. Michael Plummer
    94 Mustang GT
    545rwhp w/P600B on race gas
    533rwhp w/D1 on pump gas
    new combo coming soon

Junior SCH Member
    Well, there are a couple things to consider. A P600, P1SC and a D1 will not bennefit much if at all from extrude honing the volute. At max airflow, the volute will not choke the supercharger. If you go to a D1R or an F1R then you may want to consider it. Because these blower move so much air, extrude honing the volute deffinately helps tremendously. Unless you have one of the small blowers on a 1000hp+ car, I probably wouldnt waste the money. If your up there... give it a shot... have them hog the blower out. Do some back to back testing. You may be surprised.

Michael Freedman

I have to agree with Michael... it isn't really worth it on the smaller blowers as the impeller would cavitate before it would be able to substantialy outflow the volute extrude honed or not. It could however be worth a decent gain in larger blowers depending on the power level vs. boost/cfm produced by the blower. There is always a bottleneck somewhere, but it usualy isn't the volute in most cases.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net