Thread: cobra help

Junior SCH Member

cobra help

I put a V1 S-trim on my 95 cobra (all stock). I was told to upgrade to 42lbers by the tuner instead of the 24's that I have now and to use a lightening MAF. I know that I will need another tune after this so I was thinking about adding a powerpipe at the same time. What pipe options are there for my setup and do I need anything else for the injector/MAF swap? Not sure what year LMAF to use either?

thanks.

SCH Member
    Well I don't disagree with your tuner, but I've got pretty much the same set up as you.

Ported Cobra Intake, Ported & polished Windsor Jr heads, K&N, Vortech s-trim, 90mm Lightining mass air, 70mm throttlebody,1.7 roller rockers, pulleys, BBK Long tube headers, offroad H-pipe, Crane cam, 40 series flowmaster, 3.73 gears, MSD ignition, Vortech BTM, CGS subframes, A9L PIH kit, SCT custom burned chip, 42lb injectors, 190lph fuel pump, T rex and fuel pressure regulator, AFCO racing radiator.

I had hard start problems with the 42lb injectors. First start would be fine its after it ran for a few minutes, shut it off and tried to restart is when I had a problem. My tuner had a hell of a time trying to get it right. He got it a lot better but it never really went away. Holding the petal to the floor to get it to start became the norm. The real pita was trying to catch up with the tuner.

He's pretty well known around here and lots of guys use him, so to say it was his fault I guess is possible but I personally just don't think the chip was doing enough. This next set up Im working on Im going with a PMS.
    Last edited by greenlantern; 01-11-2006 at 12:24 PM.

Junior SCH Member
    I am also running the stock fuel pump with inline t-rex. All of this has me confused-I am running the fmu with 12:1 disk now I believe- I know that the a/f wasn't as good as the tuner would have liked. I would like to know what I need to do in simple terms to be "safe" with my tune-I want to keep everything stock except for the addition of a power pipe. (No, H,C,I etc or pulley change etc.)

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flygilmore
    I am also running the stock fuel pump with inline t-rex. All of this has me confused-I am running the fmu with 12:1 disk now I believe- I know that the a/f wasn't as good as the tuner would have liked. I would like to know what I need to do in simple terms to be "safe" with my tune-I want to keep everything stock except for the addition of a power pipe. (No, H,C,I etc or pulley change etc.)
    First of all you need to upgrade your intank fuel pump. The T rex is a 190lgh pump. Your stock is somthing like a 88lgh. So basically the your t rex is trying to pull more fuel than your intank can provide. If it were me I would be running a minimum of a 190lgh in the tank, preferably a 255lgh.

As far as your fmu is concerned you didn't state what size injector your running. The reason the 42lb injector seems to be the default is because it allows you to eliminate the fmu all together. I've seen people eliminate the fmu at 36 an 38lb injectors but it just depends on your combo and how much boost your pushin.

SCH Member
    Im sure some of you know this already but I didn't. Take a look at this
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...QQcmdZViewItem

Now looking at this you would think OK 42lb injectors and a mass air flow meter calibrated for them. Not true. I was not aware that this meter is not calibrated for these injectors and explains why myself and the tuner had such a hard time trying to tune this thing.

92stanglx
    I have 42's on my car and never have any starting issues. It's all in the tune or the calibration of the MAF. You may want to consider going with an SCT meter instead of a Lightning MAF. The SCT meter will support a lot more HP than a Lightning MAF.