Thread: Discharge tube and heat soak

Junior SCH Member

Discharge tube and heat soak

Assuming a non-intercooled centrifugal application, is the material that the supercharger discharge tube is made of critical in terms of heat soak?

For instance would there be an increase in discharge air temp at the throttle body or carb if a discharge tube was made of aluminum or other metal, versus a plastic composite material if all other factors were equal?

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    I had temperature probes in the discharge tube and my intake plenum a couple years ago testing different water injection methods and impeller designs and I would say yes different material of course will hold heat differently. I have used my Laser Temperature Probe to get temperatures of the intake and discharge pipes and a huge difference in temperature. If you run a Meth/Water Injection unit that you pulse into the Supercharger Impeller like the Anderson unit you will cool the discharge tube greatly. I myself have a Velcro wrap with Turbo Mat that goes around the discharge tube and I have a freezer ice pack blanket that I put on the tube first, since on the mustang the tube is over the exhaust header. I only use the wrap at the track because of the car sitting since I have a hood with air directed on the tube and intake which when moving I see average temperature drop of 50 degrees in a 92 degree day which is why I was using the temperature probes to start with to verify hood efficiency.

Interesting point. Does anyone know where to get custom tubing? I have a Paxton Novi1000 on an 01 GT.
    -------------
    01 GT with Novi1000

Custom? You can use exhaust pipe for a discharge pipe and use header wrap.

I was wondering if there were any shops selling pre-fab pieces?
    -------------
    01 GT with Novi1000

I own and operate a powder coating and ceramic coating company. I plan on experimenting with a heat dissapation coating on my discharge tube shortly. When I get around to it, I will let you know how it works out. Lee
    1988 5.0 Mustang,, 3" flair body kit, Vortech V2 S-Trim SQ, 347 FRPP Forged Stroker, Vortech V2 S-Trim SQ, FPS 200cc Alum Heads, Comp Blower Cam, G-Force T-5, Anderson Clutch,,, ect ect ect

POWDER & CERAMIC COATING - www.pristinepc.com
    SUPERCHARGER BELT TENSIONERS- www.elkperformance.com

I wanna get my kicks before the whole $hithouse goes up in flames -

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebee03 View Post
    I own and operate a powder coating and ceramic coating company. I plan on experimenting with a heat dissapation coating on my discharge tube shortly. When I get around to it, I will let you know how it works out. Lee
    Have you done any thing on this yet?
    1993 Thunderbird
    393 Stroker, Vortech YSi
    Lentech Strip Termimator, 4.30 Detroit Locker

I have used ceramic coatings on turbo parts and they make a difference but nothing beats the intake tube cover that reflects heat and cost less and does not get damaged from working around it.

Quote Originally Posted by 393bird View Post
    Have you done any thing on this yet?
    Sorry I have not visited the site in wayyyy to long. I did not do my tube yet, but I plan on it over the winter off season. I will let you know how it works out. I am also considering coating the entire supercharger head unit as well. Lee
    1988 5.0 Mustang,, 3" flair body kit, Vortech V2 S-Trim SQ, 347 FRPP Forged Stroker, Vortech V2 S-Trim SQ, FPS 200cc Alum Heads, Comp Blower Cam, G-Force T-5, Anderson Clutch,,, ect ect ect

POWDER & CERAMIC COATING - www.pristinepc.com
    SUPERCHARGER BELT TENSIONERS- www.elkperformance.com

I wanna get my kicks before the whole $hithouse goes up in flames -