Thread: what is the 37/64 drill bit for?

what is the 37/64 drill bit for?

I'm about to install the novi 2000 kit and read the paperwork. The list includes a 37/64 drill bit. I don't see it mentioned in the instructions. Am I just overlooking it? What's it used for?

thanks again

Junior SCH Member
    Tapping the oil pan? Mine was already done previously, but that's my guess. I don't remember seeing a drill bit, but do remember the punch that was included.
    13 lb. Paxton Novi 2000 supercharger, 80 mm C&L MAF, AFM Power Pipe, 70mm BBK TB, Stage II Cobra intake, Stage II Twisted Wedge heads, 1.6 roller rockers, F303 cam, Keith Craft 306 w/ flycut pistons, DSS main support, ARP hardware, Romac balancer, 3-row radiator, 180 degree thermostat, MSD 6A ignition, MSD Blaster coil, JMS Custom Chip, FRPP wires, Full Aeromotive fuel system with 42lb. injectors, 1 3/4" BBK Long-tubes, Off-road BBK H-pipe, Mac Flow-Paths, Mac 2 ½” tailpipes, T-5 w/ FRPP clutch, Hurst shifter, 3.73's, Cobra R's, Nitto Drag Radials, Removed back seat, spare tire, and sway bar, GT rear wing

521 rwhp, 472 rwtq

You're lucky, I wish mine was already tapped. I thought that was what it was for, also, but the instructions make no mention of it. Oh well, I guess I'll find out when I get rolling.

SCH Member
    Its for tapping the oil pan.
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Engine:
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Paxton Novi2000 12psi
    Trickflow Track Heat Heads
    Trickflow Street Heat Intake
    Trickflow Stage 2 cam
    Scorpion 1:6 RR
    70mm BBK TB
    80mm Pro-M Shorty
    PowerPipe
    42# Injectors
    BBK 1 3/4 Long tube
    Flowmaster Catback
    Crane HI-6/PS2 Coil
    Every other Bolt on available

518 RWHP 478 FT-LBS Torque

Do not fear the "tapping of the pan", it's pretty easy & straightforward. Just take your time & use plenty of grease, lol sounds like a cheesy line outta sex ed class :D

Junior SCH Member
    I thought you didn't drill the hole....only used the punch to size the hole, then tap it.???
    White GT
    Ranger
    04 GSXR 1000
    Mobius V 22'

01 Saleen 10.75@121 - sold

Senior SCH Member
    You have to drill a pilot hole and then use the punch. I did mine when the pan was off the motor. Not too big of a deal. I had a bung welded onto my new aluminum pan.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

Originally posted by scheister
    I thought you didn't drill the hole....only used the punch to size the hole, then tap it.???
    You drill, check to make sure you drilled in the right place, punch and tap.
    -Ross

88 GT - Novi'd 302
    98 Cobra - N/A 281

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    Of course we are talking about real boost from a Novi2K :D

Junior SCH Member
    ok thanks guys--one more question--why do some people say to use an air hammer, others say to use a mini sledge, and then others say to use a normal hammer. What is the purpose of using a hammer other than a conventional hammer?
    White GT
    Ranger
    04 GSXR 1000
    Mobius V 22'

Unless you've done it a few times already, DO NOT USE AN AIR HAMMER!!!! If you are too high it is possible to hit the crank or rods. If you measure 3 inches up from the bottom of the pan, you will be fine. Drill the pilot hole, use the big *** punch and a big ole' hammer. After your first couple of blows, use a long skinny phillips screw driver and insert it in the hole. Make sure there is nothing in the way. If its all clear, bang away. Use a ton of wheel bearing grease on the tap and put some in the hole and start your threads. When it is all threaded, wipe all of the grease away. Another trick that I do is put a magnet on the tap the night before. When you go to use it the next day it will be magnatized.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug; 12-02-2003 at 01:39 AM.
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Junior SCH Member
    Wow...dude, those are some great tips! Thanks!
    White GT
    Ranger
    04 GSXR 1000
    Mobius V 22'

Originally posted by scheister
    Wow...dude, those are some great tips! Thanks!
    You're welcome
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous