Thread: New to SCH

Junior SCH Member

New to SCH

Hello, my name is Gene. I have been reading SCH for a while now and have decided its that time to buy a SC. I have been jumping back and forth between a turbo or sc. My choice is the Novi 2000. I will list my mods at the bottom so that you may all see what I am running. With the mods listed I would like to konw what upgrades I will need to make when getting the N2000. Is a tune a neccessity right after installation or can it wait until the additional funds are available for it?

Mods:

88GT, 5spd
    Rebuilt (ringed etc.) 302 with stock block
    Edelbrock Performer heads with crane cams dual valve springs and valves
    Trickflow Stage 1 Cam
    Edelbrock Performer intake
    1.7 Cobra RR's
    BBK 70mm TB
    Pro-M 75mm MAM
    FMS 24# Injectors w/ Kirban AFPR
    BBK LT's with Flows
    MSD wires/cap/rotor/coil
    MSD 6AL
    FMS 3.73's w/rebuilt rear end....thinking about going to a 3.55 gear.
    No smog, no egr, no a/c.
    Autolite 3926 plugs
    9.5:1 compression
    ARP stud kit for rebuilt with other ARP fasteners.
    I also had good headgaskets installed in case I planned on adding boost.

Dynoed 305.7 rwhp and 337.1 rwtrq.
    Best time, 12.7 at 107.6mph, 1.7 60" on M/T slicks. 12.8's are my consistant times at the track.

These were shocking numbers and the car was not tuned, 10* timing. Could not tune because I didn't have turndowns or tailpipes on the mufflers so A/F readings were not taken. FP was at 40psi W.O.T.

How many psi with the Novi 2000 give me since the engine breathes good? Do I have to watch how much psi I can run without blowing something? What should the timing be at because I see some people running stock timing, some running 16* or more?

Main goal is to be in the mid 11's and I know its doable with the Novi 2000.

All input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Gene

Senior SCH Member
    Welsome..11s wont be a prob!
    Sounds like a nice car!
    Stock Blocks are Unbreakable

Junior SCH Member
    Summit has the *NON-TUNER* kit for $3089. For an additional $110 I get the FMU and the 190lph pump which I already have so I can turn around and sell that. Should I be getting 42# injectors and a matching mass air meter and not use the FMU and get the MSD BTM or stick with the 24#'ers and FMU with my 6AL? The FMU has the boost retard control on it right? Because if thats true than I don't have to buy the BTM since I already have the 6AL. I want to make sure when I buy the blower that I order whatever else I need at the same time because I plan on taking a day with a buddy and installing it all.

The Vortech comes with the 255lph T-Rex, should I upgrade to a 255 in tank with the Novi 2000?

I know these are repetative questions, however everbody has different combos and budget is the biggest thing, I just want to do it right on the first order. Thats why I am going with the 2000 instead of the 1000 because I read that it can be a little tricky to upgrade headunits. I also plan on using the two-belt setup. Will my stock fan system work with this setup?

Thanks again!

Get it tuned!
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

Senior SCH Member
    A couple of ideas on your combo. I did one very similar and 24#'s will not work. Throw the FMU in the garbage, where it belongs, and get some 42#'s with a matching N/A calibrated MAF.
    I would use you 6A and just have the thing tunned. That way you know it is safe. You will also need a 255 intank and a 255 pusher. You can never have to much fuel.
    Call Muscle Motor's and check Superchargersonline for there prices.

Good Luck
    Eric
    89GT 392 Novi 2000 650/620 Tunned by DynotuneMP :D
    03 10th Anniversary Cobra Vert. 443/451 12.6@113

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paxtu22
    A couple of ideas on your combo. I did one very similar and 24#'s will not work. Throw the FMU in the garbage, where it belongs, and get some 42#'s with a matching N/A calibrated MAF.
    I would use you 6A and just have the thing tunned. That way you know it is safe. You will also need a 255 intank and a 255 pusher. You can never have to much fuel.
    Call Muscle Motor's and check Superchargersonline for there prices.

Good Luck
    Eric

I knew about the 255 in tank. Your saying that I should add the external as well, like a "T-Rex?" I planned on higher rated injectors, I just didn't know if I should ditch the FMU when I go with the higher injectors and MAF.

Senior SCH Member
    No the T-Rex will work fine. With 42's you will not need the FMU. A wide band would also be a good idea.

Eric
    89GT 392 Novi 2000 650/620 Tunned by DynotuneMP :D
    03 10th Anniversary Cobra Vert. 443/451 12.6@113

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paxtu22
    No the T-Rex will work fine. With 42's you will not need the FMU. A wide band would also be a good idea.

Eric

That is a good idea. I don't want to run too lean or rich.

A little late, but welcome!

SCH Member
    wats the difference with a tuner kit and non tuner kit? i bought mine but how do i tell just if u get a pump and fmu? cuz i got those. j/w also new to the novi2000