Thread: Reliability

Junior SCH Member

Reliability

I am thinking of upgrading from my Paxton SN series blower to a Powerdyne.
    I know these are belt driven, and if I push the rpms too high they snap, but at stock boost levels (6-8psi) how reliable are they?

ps.. I can't afford a new vortech kit or procharger for my '85 vette, so this is my only option.

Thanks.

Junior SCH Member
    I recently installed a BD-11A on my 98 F150, and I am still learning. The weakest part of the Powerdyne is the bearings, or at least that has been the case in the past. I don't hear as much about the belt breakage.
    The newer Powerdynes have better bearings than a few years ago, and that seems to have helped.
    Try doing a search of member WLF. He and chucks_bp go into the whole bearing replacement thing in depth with PN's, etc.
    Also, have a look at 928motorsports.com for more info. Carl has done more with these than anybody else, and the pics and info are worth a look.
    At this point, I am running 9 psi with mine, and it seems fine, but it is just a matter of time till overspinning the blower will eat the bearings.
    Remember, you get what you pay for!

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the reaply and info.. Guess I'll have to find a used Vortech and just make up a custom bracket for my corvette then..

:angry:

Junior SCH Member
    I'll bet there is plenty of Chevy sb stuff out there, good luck.

Junior SCH Member
    Yeah but mucho $$$