Thread: Do any of you have some idea's for my serp. belt

Do any of you have some idea's for my serp. belt

I'm speaking of my accessorie drive, and not my blower belt. I only have alternator, waterpump, and crank of course. Also do I have to buy a smog pump eleminator? I don't even think I have my old stock one around. I have a novi 2k passenger side mount. I really hope someone has some idea how I can get this to work, or could direct me to someone that could help. thanks

Brandon

Still waiting for my damn blower to show up!
    90 strawberry coupe

Boy this is a tough one. I have looked under my hood many times thinking about your problem. On the drivers side, getting a tensioner where your A/C compressor use to be looks like it will be a must. To route the belt down to the alternator, I would suggest making a pulley and bracket and installing it where the smog pump would have gone. The only othere option I could think of would be to get a smog pump(from the junkyard?) and gut it out. The tensioner and bracket is available from March Performance Pulleys 734-729-9070. They are in Westland Michigan. I hope this helps a little.
    Doug
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Doug,
    Thanks for the advice. Are you speaking of marches tensioner that uses the stock tensioner?

Brandon

Hey Brandon,
    The tensioner I was talking about looks sort of like the stock tensioner, but it attaches differently. I have a friend with a 408 novi 2000 set-up. He uses the're tensioner set-up. I tried to get a hold of him this morning, but he is out of town. I looked in one of my old MM&FF and found an artical about the March set-up. I don"t know the date or even the year of issue because the issue cover is gone. Hope this helps a little.
    Doug

doug,
    Is it the setup you can see in all of there magazine adds?
    Brandon

Yep, thats the one

Senior SCH Member
    I just installed the alternator where it is supposed to go on the brackets. Of course you can't use the arc bracket since it mounts to the smog pump. I made a ~6" long aluminum spacer coming off the bottom bolt of the alternator going towards the back of the motor. Then I bought one of the March adjusting rods and mounted it to the space and an open hole in the bracket where the smog pump was supposed to go. I just use the adjustable rod to place tension on the belt. You have to get the smallest belt that will go on since there is not a lot of adjustment.

Hello chris,
    Welcome to the site. I have some more Real street questions for you, I'll try to get some sort of list together. What car did you say was your's? Also, I was about 2 days away from a p1sc, but i decided to go with the blower thats working in renegade, real street, wild street, and all the other classes that it's dominating in. Do you have any pictures of your setup, as far as the serp. belt goes. Are you using a standard rotation water pump? Thanks in advance for the post, and I hope you enjoy the site as much as I do. There are many nice people on this board.

Brandon

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks for the welcome. I run a white 90 GT RS8013. This was my first season and I had dismal results while starting the season off with the Procharger. When I started making some power with the Novi2000 I began breaking parts. I was able to put down a 10.6@128 in Bowling Green. I am really glad that I made the switch and I am currently building a race motor to replace my trusty stocker short block that I ran last year.

I guess I did leave out one minor detail. I was in a hurry and I just wanted to leave a notion to think about. i did switch to a standard rotation water pump. I just bought the standard rotation for a late model from Stewart components. i think it was $60 or so. You can use the stock pulleys if you slightly oblong the pulley holes.

I will take some pictures soon and get them posted. I am glad that I ran across this site.

Chris

I have another question Chris.

I'm having a tuff time getting the discharge tube to line up with my stock intake and throtle body. The discharge tube almost seems like it is to long. Any Ideas? My car is currently real street legal, I really wish that I could afford to make it to some races and run.

Brandon.

Junior SCH Member
    Can you not get the discharge tube to go on, or is it off just a bit? Two things, You may need to losen the Upper intake, and bolt it up to the throttle body first then drop on to the Blower, (all once sequence), also, you may need to clock the blower to the fender well a little bit, make a mark that goes from the scroll to the gear case, this will be your reference point that you can always go too, the fit is tight, but will work.

Senior SCH Member
    I had to clock my discharge about 30 degrees before I could get the tube to line up. Also I found that a 3/8" spacer between the upper and lower intake also provided slightly better alignment.

The discharge tube can be a pain to get on at times. A little silicone lube on the rubber couplers can also help ease things on.

Chris

thanks guys, the is the exact thing that kelly at paxton told, in both instances. I've already clocked the blower once, but i might give it another go. how tight should the scroll fit to the housing, and whats the best way to move it?

Brandon.

Senior SCH Member
    there was an article of how to make a bracket to do away with the smog pump all together and keep the alternator in the same spot but i cant seem to find it..dont know if i saw it here or on corral..hope someone can help here.