Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Tuning input - new setup

Thread: Tuning input - new setup

Junior SCH Member

Tuning input - new setup

Hey all -

I've been running my NOVI 1000 for about three years now. Had 73mm C&L meter, 24# injectors, FMU, stock ignition, 8 degrees of initial timing, fuel pressure set @ 38. Ran 12.40s letting the clutch out easy, granny shifting, etc (stock axles) - spins alot (that's my next project). Runs good. Plugs show I'm running a little rich. About 8#s boost @ 5800 (F150 crank pulley).

I'm changing to 36# injectors, 80mm Pro-M meter (SC calibration), ditching the FMU, adding an MSD6 BTM and a powerpipe. No access to a dyno tune anytime soon. I thought I'd set my initial timing @ 12, fuel pressure to 40 and take out about 1/2 degree of timing per pound of boost. I'm a little nervous without a tune. Any thoughts/input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jay
    White 1987 Coupe
    DSS 306 shortblock
    TW heads
    EH GT-40 intake
    Novi 1000
    Stick
    etc ...

That sounds like a safe bet, though a dyno tune would be the way to go.

I think with that amount of base timing then with the BTM, the upped injectors, re-cal'd MAM, fp @ 40 w/o vac it would be neato mosquito!

Personally I would jump it up to 42 w/o vac on the fuel pressure regulator just to have a few pounds of extra fuel just in case. Plus since you are ditching the FMU even though you have a little bit bigger injectors me personally I like the safety blanket.

What spark plug gap are you currently at and were you considering on changing it any?

All stangies are different some like safe safe safe tunes and run great and some like on the edge tunes and run even better it just depends on what your stang likes.

-Chris
    Last edited by Goliath5.0; 03-31-2006 at 06:49 PM.
    Chris...

Current beast: 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra #379 - slated up for a windsor and some boost

Stangs and other SVT products I've owned...

2001 F150 SVT Lightning (Silver)
    JDM Stage 1 & 2 kit and 3k+ worth of audiosex
    [ sold... ]

91 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Novi 1000 - 8" Crank Powered & Nitrous Works Powered R.I.P. Friend, it was fun! [ sold... ]

93 Ford Mustang Cobra #4549 w/an s-trim and all the goodies(Metallic Teal) [ sold... ]

#001 8" Crank Pulley Club

Frank Woodall: I would "never" trailer my car.......to me , that would be like dating a "Penthouse Pet" and not having sex with her....... :D

"ALWAYS OUT NUMBERED, NEVER OUT GUNNED"

Mustang Videos! Watch'em, upload'em and we host them at:

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks Chris - that's just what I wanted to know. I like to be safe on the tune, but we dont have a decent shop around here with a dyno - I'm in the boonies. I tune by being conservative with timing, listening and plenty of FP. I'll set initial FP @ 42 then check the plugs. Previously, I'd been gapping at .028. I was thinking to stay the same (or maybe .030) just because I hate to fight blow out - just eliminates variables.

BTW, I dont know if I was really a member of the original NOVI power club, but that site was always one of my favorites. When Paxton complained and Ian moved, I moved too. I duplicated your discharge tube with some 4" mandrel bent pipe from Jegs and welded in a bung for the pressure relief valve - works perfect. Glad you blazed the trail. The original members were the ones that convinced me to buy the little NOVI. Great blower for the money. Take care, I'll keep you, uh, posted. Thanks again.

Jay
    White 1987 Coupe
    DSS 306 shortblock
    TW heads
    EH GT-40 intake
    Novi 1000
    Stick
    etc ...