Thread: Help with P1 idler pulley on 01 gt

Junior SCH Member

Help with P1 idler pulley on 01 gt

The idler pulley (attaches to the alternator) on my 01 gt has some issues.

I think the bearings may be shot. It doesn't make any noise and spins, but it obviously isn't spinning fast enough. The belt has has worn a considerable groove in the pulley. Its to the point where the edge is sharp enough to cut your finger...and is cutting the edge of the belt up.

I thought about replacing the pulley, but it might do the same thing. Also, that pulley from ati is $80 shipped. I would much rather get a billet pulley if possible. Does anyone make anything like that? Any other options?

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blivit
    I would much rather get a billet pulley if possible.
    The ATI pulley is Billet.

Quote Originally Posted by Blivit
    Does anyone make anything like that?
    Yeah, ATI.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KS91Z28
    The ATI pulley is Billet.

Yeah, ATI.
    Maybe I should rephrase this then...

Are there any pulley's out there that are of better quality than the one procharger charges $80 for?

SCH Member
    The main thing that causes problems with the ATI idler is if the idler shafts are worn or the idler wasn't bolted in straight, the idler gets cocked a little which ends up putting too much side load on the bearings ruining them and also causes the belt to polish away the surface of the idler.

Junior SCH Member
    Belt dust can make them dirty and spin less freely. I got my kit used and cleaned the bearings and sprayed them with some silicone lube. They spin much better now. The difference was amazing!

-Jonny
    '00 GT: Procharger P600B, SVT Focus Fuel Pump, MD Super Chip tuned by Wilson @ Dallas Mustang, Mac shifter, Long Tubes, Prochamber mid and dumped cat back. Accufab plenum, PP 75mm TB, FRPP 3:55s with support girdle, suspension, vertical doors, etc.
    P600B = 385rwhp/392rwtq