Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Sheetmetal Intercooler - do I need it

Thread: Sheetmetal Intercooler - do I need it

Junior SCH Member

Sheetmetal Intercooler - do I need it

Just picking up a small discussion I started in another thread.

I am getting the D1 in the next few weeks, and plan on running 8psi to 9psi for now. In the future I will up the boost quite a bit, maybe 15+psi (when I build a stronger shortblock)

I'm just wondering if the Sheetmetal intercooler is overkill for me at this point. I know it's only $300 or whatever over the standard 3 core, but if I don't need it then....

Would it be beneficial to me with 8psi? I think I read that the 3 core is more efficient at lower boost levels. At what point does the 3 core intercooler become necessary, or more beneficial?

Thanks

Junior SCH Member
    If you are buying the kit new and have the room for the larger i/c, then by all means buy the sheetmetal one now. It is more cost efficient that way. The cast 3 core should be good (and efficient) for somewhere around 800 hp or so.

Chris

Senior SCH Member
    I honestly believe the sheetmetal will be more beneficial at any point compared to the standard 3 core intercooler. If you feel that you may upgrade boost in the future it is also a wise investment to make the first time around.

Dan
    1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021
    Dart 331,AFR185,D1SC,RPMII upper/lower
    OLD
    GT40X, E303, D1SC 13psi, 3 core intercooler, Magnaflow Catback, Hooker equal lengths, Mac Prochamber, 3.73, Auburn, Moser 31 splines, Pro-m75, MSD 6AL, TKO, Spec Stage III, Larocca Tuned
    10psi 11:1 a/f= 464rwhp 431ft/lbs

11.9@123mph @13psi 1.9 60'
    hp? tq?
    Moderator of General Tech

Junior SCH Member
    For horsepower levels under 700hp the standard 3 core intercooler is MORE than adequate. The only advantage in my opinion is that the sheetmetal cooler looks cool. :) I have seen no horsepower change in many cars at that powerlevel. Once you approach the 700hp mark, you will deffinately see that the standard 3 core starts to choke the blower. But unless you have a pretty stout block, there will be no need.

Michael Freedman

Junior SCH Member
    Even though my motor will be making 10:1 compression? I guess after reading through some info, I figured the bigger the better for my motor.

Junior SCH Member
    Hi there,
    I had the opportunity to buy the sheet metal intercooler and I was assured by Mike Freedman and an ATI engineer that it would not help at my power level.

What really surprised me was that Mike Freedman was the one selling the intercooler. For those of you that don't know Mike, he never turns down $$$$$. He said and I quote "If you want me to take your money then buy it but it won't help".

I understand its cheaper to buy now but why not save/use the money for something else. Especially if you know that you'll never gonna be making the HP levels to extract the benefits from the sheet metal intercooler.
    See ya. Michael Plummer
    94 Mustang GT
    545rwhp w/P600B on race gas
    533rwhp w/D1 on pump gas
    new combo coming soon

Junior SCH Member
    Interesting. Well, I have to say I do like honesty, especially when it saves me money :)

But I guess I'm considering more long term goals. Not to say that I'll ever reach 700HP, but my next step is going to be putting together a strong block, maybe a little forged stroker kit, and upping the boost so I can run some 9's.

That's basically the reason why I'm going for the D1 blower, most people are telling me to go with the P1SC. I only want to run 8-9psi of boost, but I also don't want to have to purchase a new blower 2 or 3 years down the road when I step things up, know what I mean?

More food for thought. Assuming I want to make alot more power in the future, should I still avoid the Sheetmetal cooler?

Junior SCH Member
    i just bought the sheet metal intercooler, but i am shooting for 700+. 383 D1 with 18+ boost (the target.. not all assembled yet). i actually wondered if the sheet metal really does support the HP claims. many front mount intercoolers cores i have reaseached are much bigger. the sheet metal core is only 27x6x3. i almost went with a bigger intercooler with a core of 25x12x3 and they claimed 1000-1200 (it was spearco) just because i had doubts it would perform to those standards.

after some research, a large part of an intercoolers efficiency is in its design. having the charge flow across the height of the intercooler (in this case where it was 6" in height) was better than flow across the length like many FMIC (in/out through the 27" length). this is how i justified the intercooler supporting these HP claims.

personally, i would go sheet metal, but i usually go overboard to often. i have to believe you would see a slight efficiency increase even if it is only a few percent with the better cooler.

just my$.02.

later,

mike
    www.BoostedHorsepower.com

69 Camaro Z28
    383 D1 Procharger
    Procharger Sheet Metal Intercooler
    750 cfm 4150
    Extreme Velocity Carb Hat
    Trick Flow Aluminum Heads
    Edelbrock Super Victor Intake
    Crower Solid Roller Cam
    X2CMotorsports Tremec TKO TransTKO

Junior SCH Member
    As for the three core sheetmetal intercooler supporting power... :).... At 3400lbs with my renegade car with nothing but the 3 core sheetmetal intercooler and cogs, I went 8.60@160. The following pass it was on a .50 pass when it spit the discharge tube off. I can tell you that it was at the end of it's useable range. About 1000rpm before peak, air/flow almost stopped, but boost and temps kept climing. That is due to the intercooler not able t o move the air and the air heating up in the core. I figure the intercooler will work well up to about 1200 engine hp. After that, it starts to fall off up top. I can tell you that it removed over 130deg of intake temp!!!!

Michael Freedman