Thread: Tech help from the end users

Junior SCH Member

Tech help from the end users

Im building my first boost motor. This will be a street motor (not necesarily a pump gas motor), Im using EFI (FAST, Wilsons, etc) and lets say the motor is 500 ci. Not looking for mega boost numbers and RPM will be limited to 6800. My question is simple. Which Procharger head unit? I am running simulations in Engine Analyzer Pro and from reading those it looks like an F-1R is it.
    Can somebody with practical experience verify this head unit choice. In my limited experience I have not found the 'tech lines' all that helpful. Nuff said. Thanks in advance to any tech info provided.

SCH Member
    What's the compression ratio of this engine going to be? Are you going to be running an intercooler? What's your horsepower goal? What heads are you using? Aluminum or Iron? ChevY or Ford? You say "not necesarily a pump gas motor", what do plan on running? 100 octane or C16? Based on the limited amount of information you have given so far, I would suggest the F1C vs the F1R. The F1C has a better mid-range whereas the F1R is more of a peaky blower.
    Last edited by KS91Z28; 04-27-2006 at 08:36 AM.

Junior SCH Member
    Fuel will be unleaded drum gas (107 octane) mixed with pump premium (ratio TBD). Compression is targeted to be in the low 9's. I am planning to intercool. HP goal in the mid to hi 900's. Heads are being built, and are custom blower heads (aluminum Edelbrocks). Hi temp coatings will be used. Its not a Chevy or Ford (Pontiac). Thats why Im asking here. The tech line said I should use a D-1SC. That did not seem right, so I thought I would check.

I do not see the F-1C in the chart listing the models (on Prochargers site). I would prefer a blower with a stronger mid range. Is the F-1C a custom model, or just new and not listed yet?

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMAN
    I do not see the F-1C in the chart listing the models (on Prochargers site). I would prefer a blower with a stronger mid range. Is the F-1C a custom model, or just new and not listed yet?
    Considering the specs you listed, I would strongly recommend the F1C. It's not really new, it's just not as well-known as the the F1R or D1SC. It has a 9.75" volute, you can get either 5.4 or 5.73 gear ratio, and it flows 1850 cfm.
    Last edited by KS91Z28; 04-28-2006 at 12:03 PM.

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the heads up on the F-1C. I am definitely going to look into that model.

Junior SCH Member
    Well, it took a long time to get all the custom parts (billet crank, custom cam, aluminum Edelbrocks flowed for supercharger use, etc) but Im there. I did go with the F-1C, and it came last week. Motor is a 512ci aftermarket block Pontiac, 8.8:1. After the holidays, it all goes to the machine shop. Currently working on the drive setups. Accessories will be a standard 6 rib and Im going to use a 16 rib to drive the blower.

SCH Member
    Congrats on getting the parts gathered! 16 rib? Wow, where'd you find those belts?

Junior SCH Member
    A little progress goin on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Junior SCH Member
    Nice setup. Sounds like one heck of a build. Keep us posted.
    1966 Chevy II (Nova), Procharged 408 sbc.

visit: www.scottshotrod.com for pics/info