Thread: NO supercharger experience, need help

Junior SCH Member

NO supercharger experience, need help

Hey guys,

I’ve just bought a Vortech V-7 YSI kit.
    I have a 1971 Camaro with th400 and 3.73 gears.
    It’s a street/strip car with a BB 454 mark IV (2 bolt main) with main girdles, TRW forged pistons, GM steel forged crank and GM 7/16 "dimple rods" with ARP bolts, and it’s all std (approx 550hp). It has a Dart heads 320cc, 1.7 roller rockers, stud girdles,850cfm mighty demon carburetor, Victor Jr intake manifold, Competition Cam solid flat tappet (advertised duration 274/280, lift .568/.578, lobe 110), Patriot headers (2 in. primary tube diameter,.3.5 in. collector diameter), 3 in. exhaust system, MSD 6AL, MSD Probillet distributor and CSI electric water pump. The compression ratio is 9.5:1.

I am looking for an honest 900 h.p. on pump gas (92/93 octane), want drivebility and reliability. I also have experience with modified engines, but NO Blower experience.

Here are my questions:

Considering the rods, pistons, crankshaft I don’t think the engine will handle more than 900hp, what do u guys think?
    My supercharger setup comes with a 5 pound pulley, so how much horsepower it will make? and how much safe boost do you guys think i can run? With more than 6 pounds do I need a bypass valve and intercooler?

Thank you

I don't know much about chevy motors, but i'd get a bypass, shoot for about 8psi w/ a good tune and not worry about the intercooler.

Spraying meth may be a great idea and you could add maybee a little more psi.

Any time you take a stock production block or parts in the 700+ HP range anything can go at anytime! But your part appear to be pretty deacent and should be OK assuming you keep RPM's under 6500.

Again I don't know a lot on chevy stuff!
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

I've worked on some chevy stuff here and there and I can tell even with a big block, perfect tune, custom cam and the heads you mentioned, 900 hp is a tall order on pump gas. At a glance, the cam you wrote down sounds great for a N/A street BBC. I think you'll need a hardcore custom flat solid cam for your goals. I would contact ed curtis of FTI as he knows chevy's, and the power curves of the Vortech style blowers on mustangs. He's the cam man. probably going to need 10-14 psi but i'd talk to Ed for sure. I'd strongly reccomend a bypass for whatever your doing. Are you running a class with a spec fuel?
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D