Thread: Installing BTM module........

Junior SCH Member

Installing BTM module........

On the side of the module there ia a start point. 0-5. Where should I set that thing? Most people I've spoke to haven't see it before. Help!
    95Z, 47k, BBK Shorties, MSD, K&N, and some more basic stuff!

Junior SCH Member
    Where you will end up will depend a ton on your setup and how much boost you plan on running. Just remember that the nuber on the dial is the amount of timing pulled per pound of boost. With the dial on "2" and running 10 psi of boost, it will take out 20 degrees of timing on the big end. That being said, and not knowing your combo, I would start off at maybe 1-1.5 and get the car running. From there work your way towards 0 till you lear light detonation and bump it up a notch.

Good Luck,

Chris

Junior SCH Member
    Are you speaking of the actual timing knob in car, or the start point on the side of the module?
    95Z, 47k, BBK Shorties, MSD, K&N, and some more basic stuff!

Junior SCH Member
    Well I am speaking of the knob that is in the car. If there is an adjustment on the box itself, then I am at a loss. I don't remember ever seeing one.

Chris

Junior SCH Member
    Unfortunately I have never found a single knob to be accurate. When the knob is one 1, Ive seen as little as .5deg per lb of boost, and as much as 2. First thing you want to do is get yourself a leakdown tester and make up some fittings so that you can pump regulated air into your BTM. Pull the spout connector and start the car with the leakdown tester set to 0 and the knob set to 0. Knowing what your base timing is, you now want to figure out how much timing you want to pull out. If your base timing is set to 10 deg and knowing that 28 would be total timing, you can figure out how much timing you want to remove. My suggestion for anything over 12lbs of boost is to run around 22 - 24 degrees on pump gas. So if you are running 12lbs of boost, set the leakdown tester to 12 lbs and turn the knob on the boost retard until you see 4 - 6 degrees retard at the balancer with a timing light. Make a mark on the knob and you are good to go.

Michael Freedman