Thread: How do you fit MSD Ignition under the hood

How do you fit MSD Ignition under the hood

I really can't find a spot for my MSD 6AL box, and my MSD Boost retard box under the hood. So I went to the picture galleries for some help and a few gave me some sort of help.

I see people put them on the driverside shock tower, but I don't know how they did it. What did they do with the coil, celanoid, and all the wires. I know when you use MSD Ignition you get another coil they must have put it somewhere, but where?

I also see people put them where the battery should be. Where did you relocate the battery to the trunk?

Thanks

Mark

SCH Member
    seen people relocate the battery and put it there or underneath the battery i will try to find some pics to help, but when u say boost retard that usually goes inside the car

In my case I use a power pipe so my AL is where the stock air box would be. For my BTM box it is mounted on the shock tower as I have moved the coil down and hidden all my wiring.

Ian

Mine Digital 6 and BTM were mounted side by side where the battery used to be. The battery was relocated to the trunk. You may consider mounting it under the cowl or mounting inside the car, under the drivers seat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

I have room for the 6AL where the air box is, but I have no room elsewhere.

I could do somthing with the coil but the celanoid...

What did you do with the celanoid? Or do you have a mini starter with a celanoid on it.

The wires..... I should be able to move the wires, but when I baught my car it has a alarm system with the wires, horn, flasher for the lights are all right there "I should be able to move them out of the way"..

It seems easier to relocate the battery but I don't know......

Where did you buy the power pipe?

Thanks

Mark

Junior SCH Member
    It may be better to mount your MSD inside the car. I had my 6BTM and 2 step in the engine compartment before(near the stock air box location) and decided to move it inside. I made a plate to mount it to and attached it to the pass. side trans tunnel. I was told by many people that the MSD would last longer if it was mounted inside. Easier to change chips, and out of the weather. Hope this helps.

Fred NMRA RS #1
    2002 NMRA Real Street champion
    10.03@136.14

Senior SCH Member
    i bolted my 6AL to the floorboard underneath the drivers seat

Fred
    Wouldn't that be in the way if you had a passenger in your car?

Mike
    I may consider putting the boxes inside the car maybe 1 under driver side and 1 under passenger side seats

Senior SCH Member
    i have my msd6al mounted inside where the window washer arms are, yes it will fit in there. it is mounted all the way to the passenger side and it is out of the way gets air to it for cooling.
    i have not had any problems with it. just drilled a hole on front of firewall to put the wires thru. i am presently trying to figure a way to put the btm in there also but will probably mount it in the glove compartment some way.

good luck

nstycpe93
    I did look in there and I see it will fit but, doesn't it get wet under the cowl? won't it ruin it