Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
before and after dyno numbers

Thread: before and after dyno numbers

92stanglx

before and after dyno numbers

Last year I finally got my car together. Here is my combo:

92' LX
    331 w/ 9:1 compression
    Twisted Wedge heads
    TFS stage 1 cam (1.7 rr's)
    gt-40 intake (ported lower) w/65mm tb
    s-trim (6lbs)
    SCT MAF
    SCT custom tune
    mac unequal length headers
    bassani OR x-pipe
    mac cat back
    Crane hi-6 and MSD coil
    42lb injectors
    255 intake and bbk inline fuel pumps
    AFPR

With this combo I put down 391 rwhp and 410 lb/ft torque. Here is the dyno graph:

I recently installed a UPR power pipe AND replaced my Bassani O/R x-pipe with a MAC H-pipe w/ high flow cats. With this setup (and after a retune) I put down 405 rwhp and 415 lb/ft torque. Here is the graph:

The car runs and feels much better. I gained HP and torque across the board. I think I could have gained more if I would have left the Bassani on it but the thing was just too frickin loud. It sounds a lot more mellow now.

If you notice the second run cuts off at just after 5500. That's casue I had my rev limiter set at 5800 :( Next time I will bump it up a bit so I can get more data. However, by the looks of the graph I should keep making more power. Also, it was 91 degrees in the shop when I was on the dyno so I after a few runs it was just getting heat soaked so I decided not to tweak things any more.

Also, it was interesting that I was only seeing 6 lbs of boost @ 5500 RPM. This is the same amount that I was seeing in the 1st run. I thought I would pick up more boost with the power pipe. However, the tuner said that if he had rev'd it to 6k I would have seen 7 or 8 lbs. What do you guys think? Is this normal after installing a power pipe? I know that my old intake setup was very restrictive.

What do you guys think of these numbers?
    Last edited by 92stanglx; 06-21-2006 at 03:53 PM.

Senior SCH Member
    What pulleys are you using on this setup?
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

92stanglx
    Quote Originally Posted by RSNovi
    What pulleys are you using on this setup?

I have a 3.33" blower and a 6" crank

Junior SCH Member
    Seems light to me.
    FWIW I just dyno'd my 331 at 10lb of boost with basically 11:1 afr and 33 deg total with BTM on 2 and put out 511rwhp at 5700rpm.
    This is with shorties, cats full smog equip etc. I have TFS heads, ecam and performer intake.
    Last edited by HyperGT; 06-23-2006 at 12:21 PM.
    1992 GT DECH, 331ci and S-trim

92stanglx
    Quote Originally Posted by HyperGT
    Seems light to me.
    FWIW I just dyno'd my 331 at 10lb of boost with basically 11:1 afr and 33 deg total with BTM on 2 and put out 511rwhp at 5700rpm.
    This is with shorties, cats full smog equip etc. I have TFS heads, ecam and performer intake.
    Interesting. What is your compression ratio? Do you have a tune? What is your fuel system? My tune is "extremely" safe. I am only running 18 degrees of timing. I also have all my smog equipment attached.

Sounds like I need some more boost ;) I was really hoping to see 8 or 9 lbs. I think the 5800 rev limiter killed that.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92stanglx
    Interesting. What is your compression ratio? Do you have a tune? What is your fuel system? My tune is "extremely" safe. I am only running 18 degrees of timing. I also have all my smog equipment attached.

Sounds like I need some more boost ;) I was really hoping to see 8 or 9 lbs. I think the 5800 rev limiter killed that.
    Pistons are 8.8:1 comp, with the heads still under 9:1. Fuel system is a walbro gss340, 42lb injectors, sn95 rails and AFPR. I am running at full boost only 13deg of timing (ie 33 less 20 from the btm). A/F was only 11:1 at 5700 rpm, so plenty conservative. Now my heads are ported and so is the intake which will give me more power at less boost. Throw some more boost at it. With your low compression and low boost you cant expect to make too much power. If you were only going to run 6psi you should have kept the compression up. Cant dial back all the criteria for power (ie compression, timing, fuel and boost) and still expect to make good power.
    BTW I saw that boost at 5500-5600rpm. 2.87 pulley with 7" crank.
    Just for comparison my tq peaked at 4500rpm with 483rwtq. My tuner who is an SCT tuner (i only used old school for now) said I left big power on the table due to richness etc. Clearly I am at the safe limit, but would like to pick up more power under the curve.
    Last edited by HyperGT; 06-23-2006 at 02:30 PM.
    1992 GT DECH, 331ci and S-trim

92stanglx
    Quote Originally Posted by HyperGT
    Pistons are 8.8:1 comp, with the heads still under 9:1. Fuel system is a walbro gss340, 42lb injectors, sn95 rails and AFPR. I am running at full boost only 13deg of timing (ie 33 less 20 from the btm). A/F was only 11:1 at 5700 rpm, so plenty conservative. Now my heads are ported and so is the intake which will give me more power at less boost. Throw some more boost at it. With your low compression and low boost you cant expect to make too much power. If you were only going to run 6psi you should have kept the compression up. Cant dial back all the criteria for power (ie compression, timing, fuel and boost) and still expect to make good power.
    BTW I saw that boost at 5500-5600rpm. 2.87 pulley with 7" crank.
    Just for comparison my tq peaked at 4500rpm with 483rwtq. My tuner who is an SCT tuner (i only used old school for now) said I left big power on the table due to richness etc. Clearly I am at the safe limit, but would like to pick up more power under the curve.
    Cool. Well, when I first got everything together I was planning on running 8lbs. However, my blower was an A-trim that was upgraded. I had forgotten about the smaller crank pulley on the A-trim until I had the car 1st tuned.

I installed the power pipe 'cause my origional intake setup was kinda hacked together to make the SCT meter fit. I was hoping to pick up some more boost but (according to the tuner) the motor didn't rev high enough (hitting the limiter) to see the extra boost.

That all being said, I am *very* happy with the way the car runs right now. It has gobs of power throughout the curve, is very reliable, and has no drivability issues. The car is only street driven (for now) so this was my main goal.

Also, I am having traction issues with the power level I have right now so I don't think more power is going to help me very much until I get this sorted out.

My future plans (after solving the traction issues) are to upgrade to an 8 rib setup with a bigger crank pulley.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!! Keep it coming :)

Junior SCH Member
    Just to let you know, a BTM won't take out more that 15 degrees of timing no matter what you put it at. So you had 18* total.