Thread: novi 1000 questions

Junior SCH Member

novi 1000 questions

sorry, new to this awesome site, but had a couple of questions?

can i use the f150 crankshaft with my 6 rib setup? i can't seem to find one anywhere? what years? is this the 8" size that i keep seeing people talk about? i am seeing about 370 rwhp and 380 lbft of torque with my 331 supercharged. was told the numbers are a little low because it needs more boost with the extra bore size?
    also, i see a 2.75" paxton 6 rib pulley, i think mine is a 3.33" on the blower? does that sound right to anyone?
    any help, suggestions would be great, need more boost!!!

Yes you can run a f-150 crank pulley on your setup. look for one in the late 80's early 90's. With this swap usually adds anywhere from 3 to 5 pounds of boost depending on your application. It says you have a 331 but you dont say what heads,cam and intake your running. I'd say roughly 4 psi increase. Hope this helps.
    90 Convertible
    Stock Bottom
    Novi 1000(13PSI)
    TFS Track Heat Heads
    TFS #1 Cam
    Edelbrock RPM 2 Intake
    75mm T-Body
    90mm LMAF w/maf.ia
    SCT Tune
    461 RWHP
    509 RWTQ

Junior SCH Member
    thanks alot for that info. do you know if it is an 8" diameter? i want to order one but it has to be special ordered and the size pulley on my car now is +/-6.5". anyway, i have twisted wedge heads (not ported), extreme energy 274 cam, trick flow street intake, 75mm tb, long tubes. do you have the 6-rib system as well? what size blower pulley are you using? thank you very much for the repsonse!!

I have almost the exact same setup as you. But i running the newer 2 belt setup as for th size of your crank im pretty sure is 6.87 inches and as for the crank pulley you be able to pick that up at a local junk yard or something not that hard to find. As for blower setup im running currently all stock pullies but in the process of changing the blower pulley to a 3.00 inch instead of the stock 3.50. Should add 5 pounds or so of boost.
    90 Convertible
    Stock Bottom
    Novi 1000(13PSI)
    TFS Track Heat Heads
    TFS #1 Cam
    Edelbrock RPM 2 Intake
    75mm T-Body
    90mm LMAF w/maf.ia
    SCT Tune
    461 RWHP
    509 RWTQ

Junior SCH Member
    so the f150 crank pulley is larger than the 6.87"? i'll go to my local junkyard and see what they have. did you switch to the 2 belt setup or your kit came that way? i was thinking about the smallest blower pulley made for my setup- the 2.75". does that sound right? maybe it's too small? do you have any cooling issues? thanks again for all your input, it's been very helpful.

the f-150 crank is 8 inches which will net you 4-5 pounds of boost. I only picked my 2-belt up a few months ago. I don't have any cooling issues im running a big griffin rad with dual electric fans. Temperature hand almost never moves but then again im in canada the air is alot colder up here. As for swaping blower pulleys get the crank pulley first and see what kind of boost that gets you then take it from there. Im sure you'll be impressed with the gain. Quicker spool up and lots more mid range torque and lots more top end horsepower.
    90 Convertible
    Stock Bottom
    Novi 1000(13PSI)
    TFS Track Heat Heads
    TFS #1 Cam
    Edelbrock RPM 2 Intake
    75mm T-Body
    90mm LMAF w/maf.ia
    SCT Tune
    461 RWHP
    509 RWTQ

An F-150 crank pulley is not 8 inches. It is about 6.5 which is larger than the stock 5.85 crank pulley.

I used to have a 2.75 blower pulley with the F-150 crank pulley and saw 11#'s with my 306.

The 8 inch crank pulley's you see talked about are custom made through ASP.

I have read about alot of fitiment usses with it and would only recommend getting a 7.5 incher made if you went that route.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

May bad i'm still in 2-belt land sorry guys. But as for everything lse as for being easy to pick at a junk is true. And i think you gonna need a cobra water pump to make a f-150 crank fit. Im pretty sure correct me chuck if im wrong
    90 Convertible
    Stock Bottom
    Novi 1000(13PSI)
    TFS Track Heat Heads
    TFS #1 Cam
    Edelbrock RPM 2 Intake
    75mm T-Body
    90mm LMAF w/maf.ia
    SCT Tune
    461 RWHP
    509 RWTQ

I dont remember for sure if you need the cobra water pump pulley or not. I would try not to use it because the water pump will be spinning like crazy and probably shorten the life of the pump.

That is the only real flaw in the single belt set up. Swapping the crank pulley makes everything spin faster. I know back in the single belt days a few guys on here seized there PS pumps from over spinning them.

Look through the Novi 1K forum there is alot of info in there.

My 1K got me to 11.60@ 122 with the F150 crank and 2.75 blower pulley on a H/C/I 306. That was about average at the time, they are an underestimated S/C.

the novi 1000 is big time underestimated. My buddy ran an s-trim @ 12lbs of boost through a 306 with all of the gear h/c/i and switch to a novi 1k @ only 10-11lbs of boost and made almost 25rwhp more!!!!! Pretty impressive.
    90 Convertible
    Stock Bottom
    Novi 1000(13PSI)
    TFS Track Heat Heads
    TFS #1 Cam
    Edelbrock RPM 2 Intake
    75mm T-Body
    90mm LMAF w/maf.ia
    SCT Tune
    461 RWHP
    509 RWTQ

Junior SCH Member
    i had a 306 before the 331 i currently have and it was making 390 rwhp @ 6 psi with the same h/i, cam was a little different. but i was really impressed with the numbers it put out.
    did you have any belt slippage issues with the 2.75" blower pulley?
    chuck, you mentioned to go with a 7.5" crank pulley, can asp custom make that? or is that something i can get from a junk yard? sorry for all the questions, but i have the 2.75" blower pulley ordered and want to get the crank pulley installed, new belt size, and dyno tune it. also, i measured the crank pulley on my car and it measured 6" in diameter (measuring the outer most lip of the pulley) is that how i measure? thank for all your help novi vert and chuck!

If you have a 2.75 pulley on the way try it and see if your happy. If not get the F-150 (6.5") or get a custom ASP pulley. The F 150 pulley is the largest diameter pulley you will find to fit your set up in a junk yard.

Try that set up first, you dont want to use a bigger crank pulley than you have to because you spin all your accessories faster.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

Junior SCH Member
    chuck. thanks for all the info. i got (what i thought anyway) the 2.75" blower pulley the other day. it looks as if it is the same size as the one that is on there now. i measured it and it is about 3" to the outer lip of the pulley. is that how you measure the pulley diameter? because what i bought was 2.75" and it doesn't seem to be that size. anyway, i was also wondering: i have a larger altenator pulley. if i put that on, will it be the same as going to a larger crank pulley. i know the diameters of each are very different, but it seems the concept would still be the same?