Thread: Any one running serpentine belts?

Junior SCH Member

Any one running serpentine belts?

Any of you guys running serpentine belts on your F1R? If so what kind of boost are you running? Do You have problems with slipping belts?:think:
    Thanks

Junior SCH Member

Serp. Belts

:) I have a 12 RIB on a BBC with an F1-R. I run 15 lbs. with no problems. They are stock Procharger pullys. The present project,now being installed is an F1-C with an ECS 10 RIB mount. I am waiting on pullys from RIECHARD so no dyno #'s yet. Motor is a 427 C5-R 427 in a C-5 Corvette. I expect to have a 12 psi st. tune & a race tune of 20# if the blower will do it.ECS makes the best Procharger kit I know of.
    Last edited by msb184; 08-11-2006 at 11:23 PM. Reason: misread question

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak351 View Post
    Any of you guys running serpentine belts on your F1R? If so what kind of boost are you running? Do You have problems with slipping belts?:think:
    Thanks
    running a 12-rib pulley set.
    was getting 14-15psi then the slipping started and it would drop back to 9-10psi with a 4.5" pulley.
    tried different new belts and the recommended belt break-in and re-tightening before standing on the go pedal.
    still started slipping with belt real tight, like a guitar string = twang-twang.
    got a pulley sent to Carbinite for the textured coating.
    getting dual 6-rib belts to replace the 12-rib, Gate fleetliner-hd belts/green stripe.
    should be problem solved:evil:

Senior SCH Member
    I am not familar with the pro charger stuff but how many idlers are there? Is there anyway to increse the belt wrap around the supercharger?

The carbonite coating will just wear the belt out faster. You need a method of testing how much tension you have and keep applying more till the slip goes away.

When I think I have my belt tight by feel on my novi set-up I find out that I am not even close. Litterally I will see stretch marks in the belt start occuring when I get close to where it will not slip. A new belt will stretch a bunch and needs constant re adjustment till its broke in.

IMHO i think you would be further ahead to stay with the single 12 rib as it should stretch uniformly where two 6 ribs might stretch at differents rates.

For belts I just use Goodyear gator backs and have had good luck with them. Again just an opinon but the feel of the material felt so hard or like cloth on some of the other belt manufactures where the gatorbacks still have a rubber feel that is not so slippery.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtbolt64 View Post
    I am not familar with the pro charger stuff but how many idlers are there? Is there anyway to increse the belt wrap around the supercharger?

The carbonite coating will just wear the belt out faster. You need a method of testing how much tension you have and keep applying more till the slip goes away.

When I think I have my belt tight by feel on my novi set-up I find out that I am not even close. Litterally I will see stretch marks in the belt start occuring when I get close to where it will not slip. A new belt will stretch a bunch and needs constant re adjustment till its broke in.

IMHO i think you would be further ahead to stay with the single 12 rib as it should stretch uniformly where two 6 ribs might stretch at differents rates.

For belts I just use Goodyear gator backs and have had good luck with them. Again just an opinon but the feel of the material felt so hard or like cloth on some of the other belt manufactures where the gatorbacks still have a rubber feel that is not so slippery.
    my procharger has the thick mounting plates with 1-idler that adjusts mechanically with a jack screw.
    i had concerns that the tightness of the belt might cause damage to the crank/bearings or the procharger itself.
    i already popped for the carbinite pulley and the twin 6-rib belts,
    i'm hoping the belts w/n not stretch unevenly.
    i think the carbinite guys quoted a 72%-increase in grip on the belts, so they w/n have to be super tight.
    belt wear may turn out to be an secondary issue, but the belts are only $26-each for the 6-ribbers at NAPA :evil:
    i'll update after i get the new pulley and belts installed and tested:D

Thumbs up pulley update

Quote Originally Posted by vinces427bb View Post
    my procharger has the thick mounting plates with 1-idler that adjusts mechanically with a jack screw.
    i had concerns that the tightness of the belt might cause damage to the crank/bearings or the procharger itself.
    i already popped for the carbinite pulley and the twin 6-rib belts,
    i'm hoping the belts w/n not stretch unevenly.
    i think the carbinite guys quoted a 72%-increase in grip on the belts, so they w/n have to be super tight.
    belt wear may turn out to be an secondary issue, but the belts are only $26-each for the 6-ribbers at NAPA :evil:
    i'll update after i get the new pulley and belts installed and tested:D
    :shocked:got my new 4.25" pulley treated with the carbinite process installled.
    the boost comes in much faster and i'm using an old 62" 12-rib belt that slipped previously. it doesn't seem to be slipping at all now and it is nowhere near as tight as before. i read some more old posts and decided against using twin 6-rib belts due to the issues someone else reported of one belt coming off during runs. and i didn't think i could even get the 61" belts installed = too short slightly...

oh yeah. boost gauge showing over 12#boost at 5500-rpm, i'm in the mountains above 5000'-elevation also.