Thread: correct pcv,breather..hose routing???

Junior SCH Member

correct pcv,breather..hose routing???

i have an 89 5.0 w/a paxton sn89 on it.....what are the correct connections for the pcv and the oil feed tube to throttlebody.
    i t'd them together and connected them to the air inlet downstream of the mass-air but before the S/C.....this made my idle surge eraticly.
    thanks for the help, XS

Senior SCH Member
    I just vent the PCV to the atmosphere and plug all of the throttle body connections. All the cars idle great like this. I also just vent the crank case pressure through a breather. Never any problems.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

Junior SCH Member
    thanks, ill go try it now.
    xs

RSnovi, so when you say vent to the atmosphere do you mean you eliminated the line between the pcv & intake & just have the pcv lying in the grommet/hole? or do you mean you removed the pcv altogether & just run an open hole in the intake? ive been running breathers on both my VC's & using a check valve in line with the pcv. theres so much different information out there on centrifugal blowers & pcv setups. ive been running my set up on 2 different blown foxbodies w/o problems for years. but i always feel like there is a better way. i often get told running breathers on BOTH my VC's is overkill & have been told that the open breathers altogether is a bad idea, allowing unmetered air in. but who cares if the car is tuned this way? id really like to hear a better or even the best setup if there really is one!
    ive considered making a custom check valve extensions between the VC & breather that would allow crankcase pressure to escape but not come back in under vacuum......
    -justin

DSS 306, S-trim, TFS trackheats, TFS trackheat intake, TFS stg 1 cam, Tremec....tons of cooling, suspension, exhaust, ignition, fuel & tuning parts that would take up too much space!

Really you could just plug the PCV and run a breather.Thats how mine is with no problems.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSNovi
    I just vent the PCV to the atmosphere and plug all of the throttle body connections. All the cars idle great like this. I also just vent the crank case pressure through a breather. Never any problems.
    Agreed!!!!!
    STOCK BLOCK 347 AFR 185'S EFI SPYDER 11:1 MIGHTY MIGHT C4 11.01 @ 122 NA 10.05 @132 1.40 60 FT
    FORMER PMS INTERACQ
    AEM EMS

can you guys elaborate? when venting to the atmosphere is there just the pcv valve laying in the gromminget with no hose attached to it? or does it have hose running somewhere incase a little oil makes it through it? thanx for the help, the more crap i can ditch the less problems to deal with down the road......
    -justin

DSS 306, S-trim, TFS trackheats, TFS trackheat intake, TFS stg 1 cam, Tremec....tons of cooling, suspension, exhaust, ignition, fuel & tuning parts that would take up too much space!

Junior SCH Member
    You can get a solid grommet with no holes in it that will fit in the back of the intake. You can put a little of the right stuff (similar to RTV black) to seal it to insure no leaks.
    STOCK BLOCK 347 AFR 185'S EFI SPYDER 11:1 MIGHTY MIGHT C4 11.01 @ 122 NA 10.05 @132 1.40 60 FT
    FORMER PMS INTERACQ
    AEM EMS

thanx for the input....so i see you agreed with the statement above by RSnovi. are they running the open pcv valve just stuck in the grommet? thanx again....
    -justin

Senior SCH Member
    I just connected a piece of vacuum hose to the PCV valve and vented it in the fender. It might be a good idea to put a small filter or collector on the end of the vacuum hose so oil doesn't drip out.

I have also seen some people just put a small breather back there and that should work fine. Most people with stock motors and blowers tend to have a lot of blowby so a decent amount of crank ventilation is a good idea.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

much appreciated input! thanx!
    -justin

Junior SCH Member
    Thank you to!

SCH Member
    I put an air compressor inline water/oil trap bewteen the PCV and the intake os it would catch any blowby on a friends car. His car had BAD blowby. I had a line coming off the valve cover going to a breather tank in the inner fender. It seemed to work quite well. THEN he brought it to a shop that "fixed" it. They ran a line off the valve cover into the filter before the MAF. It got so much oil in there is screwed the MAF sensor all up and made a huge mess.

My 93 GT had minimal blowby. I had the stock PCV setup on that and a line going from the valve cover to the SC inlet after the MAF.
    1993 Mustang LX
    Reef Blue, 5spd, too much to list!

1993 Mustang GT SOLD :(
    Powerdyne BD-11A w/9lb pulley,AOD->T-5 swap, MAC 1 5/8 shorties, MAC ProChamber, MAC catback,Pro 5.0 shifter, stock 3.27's, SPEC Stage II,and all else stock!

12.774@111.147 with a 1.90 60ft on Nittos and 3000 rpm launch :)