Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just installed SN-2000 (GEN ??)

Junior SCH Member
    oh wow............ that link is very informative and looks like tuning this thing could take awhile. Thanks for that info though. Finally got the car backtoday and it ended up that my walbro 255 and the walbro booster were drawing too much power for the stock harness, ended up unhooking the booster till i can get a rewire

Junior SCH Member
    ok new question............ i need to know the best way to get rid of my crankcase pressure. I ran a hose from the pass side valve cover to the intake before the blower but under higher throttle its still blowing oil out of my brand new rear main. Isnt returning that oil through the blower a bad thing? Also after installing and relocating the MAF with the blower i get a SES light saying my MAF is junk......... would that be whats causing the car to fall on its face after 5K?

Junior SCH Member

Thumbs up

You shouldn't have oil pulling from the valve cover. If there is either boost is entering the crankcase from some where ex. intake manifold gasket, head gasket, broken rings, etc.. Be sure there is no other pcv tubes that could be fine with natural aspiration but with pressure can be pressurizing the crankcase.

As far as the MAF error code, are you running a blowoff valve, if not you can be reversing air through the meter which will lower the voltage and give you an error code.
    STOCK BLOCK 347 AFR 185'S EFI SPYDER 11:1 MIGHTY MIGHT C4 11.01 @ 122 NA 10.05 @132 1.40 60 FT
    FORMER PMS INTERACQ
    AEM EMS

Junior SCH Member
    um ok, i do believe my car does still have the pcv valve, also yes i am running a blow off valve but its open, it doesnt have the tube returning down to the intake pipe before the blower and after the MAF.

Junior SCH Member
    any suggestions guys.................

Junior SCH Member
    Some cars have a crankcase vent tube before the throttlebody usually to the valve cover. This is not a pcv valve but it is a way for pressure to enter the crankcase on a supercharged application.

The air bypassed from the BOV must be returned to the inlet side of the blower on any mass air application, this can be your check engine code. :)
    STOCK BLOCK 347 AFR 185'S EFI SPYDER 11:1 MIGHTY MIGHT C4 11.01 @ 122 NA 10.05 @132 1.40 60 FT
    FORMER PMS INTERACQ
    AEM EMS

Junior SCH Member
    ok so ill re-route te BOV line to the inlet, what about this pcv valve. I know my car has the elbow coming from the pass. side valve cover with a hose to the tb. What should i be doing to get rid of this blow by. Will eliminating the PCV help, or get rid of that elbow

Junior SCH Member
    Think of it this way, If there is any possibility that from the discharge side of the supercharger there is any possible way it can blow boost pressure into the crankcase, this needs to be eliminated. Usually I cap the ends off and run an open breather on each valve cover for crankcase ventilation.

Now if there is a pcv valve, an actual valve between this area this should act like a check valve and not allow boost to enter, in this case you would be ok.

On mass air equiped car if you take the two breather option you would need to eliminate any pcv valve into the lower intake as this wil also pull unmetered air under vaccuum conditions.

Another way around this is to take that tube as long as it is just a tube and route that to the inlet side of the blower as well.

Trying to simplify how the pcv works is usualy you have a vaccuum source from the upper manifold that pulls vaccuum from the crankcase, also to better vent the crankcase and for emmissions reasons you have a tube that goes from the valve cover to throttle body area which also pulls vaccuum in naturaly aspirated conditions. The pcv valve in itself would not be enough. In a supercharged application pressure is going into the throttle body and by leaving the tube there you are pressurising the crankcase which is a cause of oil blowing out of not so happy places and you don't want to do this.
    FORMER PMS INTERACQ
    AEM EMS

Senior SCH Member
    Well, Notch, on a 5.0, the TB to oil filler hose is actually the supply side of the PCV system, replacing the air the outlet side, at the back of the manifold, draws into the upper intake from the crankcase.

F=MA

Junior SCH Member
    ok, well i have a MAF car, and i know i still have the pcv valve in the lower intake mani. So i need to get rid of that pcv. maybe im just not picking up as quickly as i should, but say i eliminate the pcv, should i just run the 2 breathers and then t them together and then run that tube where?

also is it me or shouldnt the MAF sensor be after the blower to compensate for fuel changes and actualy air readings? or is it supposed to be between the air filter and the intake of the blower? And that would explain why i need the paxta map and fueler...... thanks alot guys

Senior SCH Member
    You can't "get rid of PCV". You must have crankcase ventilation, especially in forced induction apps because you WILL have blowby and it's gotta get out of the crankcase somewhere.

If you don't want powered PCV, the best bet is to make the induction and PCV systems discrete. You can probably get by with a non-powered PCV system. A powered PCV uses engine vacuum to draw crankcase fumes into the manifold for consumption in the normal combustion process.

What you can do is ventilate both valve covers and install breathers on them.

This MAY be adequate to ventilate the block. If it's not, your engine condition should be checked, as you may be blowing excessive amounts of combustion pressure past bad rings. If engine condition checks out and you still require more breathing, then you'll have to power the system, either by engine vacuum or an external vacuum pump.

F=MA

Junior SCH Member
    ok so then thats where im gonna start, if i T them together, where should i put the return line going to? i dont like the idea of running it to the intake of the charger. As far as the pcv, should i make any mods to that if i adding another breather..... my apologies if im being a PITA

Senior SCH Member
    It's OK, ya idjit. :laugh: I really think you should just put breathers in each valve cover, vented to atmo, and see what happens. Meeeelions of people have gotten by just fine with this simple, uncluttered type of system. You'll need a hole saw and a couple push-in breathers. Like these:

http://www.hotzoneperformance.com/Pr...Z%2D4870%2DSET

F=MA

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F=MA
    Well, Notch, on a 5.0, the TB to oil filler hose is actually the supply side of the PCV system, replacing the air the outlet side, at the back of the manifold, draws into the upper intake from the crankcase.

F=MA
    Did I seem to say otherwise. Leaving this tube on (sorry from the throttle body to the valve cover) will cause pressure to enter the valve cover, hence the crankcase on a supercharged engine.

Yes you need pcv, never did I say in my post to eliminate it and have no source of crankcase ventilation. What I did say is the correct means of doing it while still using a powered pcv system or on the otherhand nonpowered open element breathers for each valve cover.
    FORMER PMS INTERACQ
    AEM EMS

Junior SCH Member
    Last edited by NMNOTCH; 08-01-2006 at 06:42 PM.
    FORMER PMS INTERACQ
    AEM EMS