Thread: Chip Question

Junior SCH Member

Chip Question

Great site! I appreciate the opportunity to post.

I am in the first stages of gathering all the necessary goodies to complete my Vortech install.

One thing I cannot decide on is what chip and/or tuner to use.

Everyone I talk to keeps directing me to JMS.

I have the opportunity to get a superchip for free, from a realiable friend, that matches my Computer code, AOL3. It came with the new Vortech from SHM that he got for his '98 Cobra.

Should I get this and have it reburned for my setup?

What should I do?

Thanks for the help.
    G. Scott
    Power in the Hands of a Few
    1 of 14 to be exact
    '98 Saleen Cobra #98-082

Senior SCH Member
    JMS is good. But I would contact SpeedWorks in Lewisville, they do good work. Or come down here to Houston Performance.

Troy
    1995 Mustang Cobra
    302-10.77 @ 127.76
    new motor being built
    redsnk@yahoo.com

owner/moderator
    http://www.stangtuning.com

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the info. I went ahead and orderd the JMS chip and will take the car to Speedworks and have it dynoed once the instalation is done.
    Thanks again and nice ride.
    G. Scott
    1 of 14 to be exact
    '98 Saleen Cobra #98-082

Senior SCH Member
    No problem! and thanks for the compliment.

troy
    1995 Mustang Cobra
    302-10.77 @ 127.76
    new motor being built
    redsnk@yahoo.com

owner/moderator

Junior SCH Member
    Just noticed on your website that you are from Deer Park.
    I grew up in LaPorte. Lived there from 1973-1993 (except the time I was in the Service).
    Small world.
    On a different note, in another thread I read a guy that fealt JMS was not a good tune. Maybe he will respond. I would like to know a little more before I put this chip in.
    G. Scott
    1 of 14 to be exact
    '98 Saleen Cobra #98-082

Senior SCH Member
    Ahhh good ole La Porte, yes very small world. Well we (our group) has run 3 or 4 JMS chips with all great success. But all these cars were N/A, not blower cars. The problem with mail order, is they are guessing. But JMS has a ton of files, and I bet they will get pretty damn close with the tune. If not then you can send the chip back and get them to fine tune it (only cost is shipping). Did you get the 3 program chip? I would also ask Speedworks what software they tune with. If they tune with Autologic, then they might be able to reburn your JMS chip. Just a suggestion.

Troy
    1995 Mustang Cobra
    302-10.77 @ 127.76
    new motor being built
    redsnk@yahoo.com

owner/moderator

The rundown on JMS

Autoligic chip with first 3 tunes.............. Terrible!

Sent it back to JMS along with Dyno, Wideband, Fuel pressure, and Manifold pressure readings for 3 more tunes. The result was horrible cutomer service once again, 5 day delay on shipping my chip because they employ circus monkeys and 3 more piss poor tunes!

You know it's not my style to bash anyone on a public board but for the love of god do not have a chip burned via mail order from them on a blower car. They may be great if your car is at their facility on the dyno, but they flat suck on a mail order tune. You know I spent allot of money providing them with every spec of data I could obtain about my car and the initial price of the chip. My car spent a total of 2 weeks being undriveable because they failed to mail my chip back to me on the promised dates. Then take into consideration the fact that I had to drive my car to work with the ungodly tunes they sent me. This car is my daily driver and they made my entire project a real life nightmare!

I have attempted to contact Chris Johnson on several occasions and he will not address my issues period. It's been almost 2 months now and I have heard nothing. All JMS wants is your money. Chris Johnson nor his monkeys care about providing a good product or service. They proved this to me and it is very clear. I am not an angry person or a hothead whatsoever. I am only asking for an explanation from them on why they promised me one thing and couldn't deliver on 6 attempts.

My car is tuned perfectly now, no thanks to JMS. You can add in another several hundred dollars to the losses they caused me for the new chip and tuning time. Sorry for the long rant.

Razor.
    2001 Cobra #719
    MODS: Vortech S-Trim, Aftercooler, Mini Race Bypass Valve, AFM Power Pipe, 90m.m. LMAF, 42# Injectors, Superchips Chip, 03 Cobra Fuel Pump, Trunk Mount Battery, Auto Meter Gauges, Solid Axle Swap, 4:10 Gears, O/R H-Pipe, Mac Cat-Back, Flowpath Mufflers, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Mac Subframe Connectors, D/S Safety Loop, McLeod Clutch, Steeda Sport Springs, Moser 31 Spline Axles, Eaton Posi, Granatelli Upper & Lower Control Arms, AFS 2003 Chrome Cobra Wheels (17x9, 17x10.5), 315/35/17 Nitto DR's.
    Dyno: 496 RWHP. & 422 RWT. (SAE Corrected)
    MY WEBSITE: Click Here
    ww.ModularFords.com -4V Forum Moderator

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks guys for the feedback. Have to ponder the responses.
    So far they have been great. I talked with Chris, not Chris Johnson, and he was very helpful. I ordered it Monday. Sent them a check Tuesday, they got it Wednesday. They overnighted it today for Friday delivery. We'll see.
    Thanks again.
    G. Scott
    1 of 14 to be exact
    '98 Saleen Cobra #98-082

Junior SCH Member
    talk to www.fordchip.com Best ford tuners imho.

If i had a ford, jerry would be the tuner

Ryan.
    1998 WS6 Ta "ram air"