Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
95 Mustang 8 RIP SET UP

Thread: 95 Mustang 8 RIP SET UP

Junior SCH Member

95 Mustang 8 RIP SET UP

Hi,

First time posting and I have 2 questions.

I have a 95 Mustang GT with a D1 Procharger with 3 core intercoooler set up. Now the problem is that I can't get any boost out of the blower. I'm just getting 7-9 PSI depending on the belt I use (9 with the gatoback belts). Also it has been throwing belts from any kind since the day I got it. It has been on the car for over a year! I checked every thing possible(i.e. alignment...etc)

Now my questions are, Is there an 8, 10 or even 12 RIP set up for my car? How can I eliminate throwing the belts out?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    95 D1 GT
    01 P1SC GT

Junior SCH Member
    Hi there,
    Just looking at your photo does the idler tensioner (the one between the power steering and alternator) have a lip on it?

If not, then I would get the correct idler tensioner (it should have a lip on it to keep the belt in place).

Are you using your smog pump & pulley? If you're not then the tensioner that lies between the smog pump and alternator will not have sufficient tension on it and you'll have to replace the stk. Ford tensioner (no lip) with one from a 87-93 Mustang (has a lip).

As far as more boost is concerned, try installing a larger crank pulley (6.75"-7.0"). The stk. GT crank pulley is 6.50" and the stk. Cobra is 6.25". Auto Specialities can help you with the larger crank pulley size.

I have an 8 rib setup and it is nice and it helps with belt slippage but its expensive and I bought mine used. You can try Mike's Mustangs they make the 8 rib setup but I don't have their number, hopefully someone else will.

I hope this helps.
    See ya. Michael Plummer
    94 Mustang GT
    545rwhp w/P600B on race gas
    533rwhp w/D1 on pump gas
    new combo coming soon

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the reply Michael Plummer!

I tried the FOX style tensioner before and in a matter of fact it made it worse! How? I don't know really.

I'm by passing the smog pump? are you saying that I should use it or get a delete kit for it and run the belt around?

For the boost, I have the pulley that came with the supercharger which suppossed to get me to the 15-22 PSI, So I don't think my problem is with the crank pulley.

Thanks for the reply again and hopefully you can add some or others.
    95 D1 GT
    01 P1SC GT

Junior SCH Member
    Hi there,
    Okay now we're on to something. You stated that you bypassed the smog pump. What happens is that the idler tensioner doesn't have sufficient tension on it from the crank pulley and alternator. The belt will walk off the idler tensioner because it has no lip.

To rectify this you need to do some of the following.

#1) Install a new 87-93 idler tensioner with a lip. I know you said you tried this but it should work unless the tensioner was warped. This will replace the stk. idler tensioner, its located between the crank pulley and the alternator. No need to do this if you do #2.

#2) Install a smog delete kit or re-install the smog pump and this will place the correct amount of tension on the idler tensioner and this will correct your problem. If you preform this upgrade there is no reason to replace the stk. Ford idler tensioner in #1.

In closing, You do not have the correct idler tensioner (the one near your coil) get the correct one from your local parts store or Ford this upgrade is a must and these upgrades will FIX your problem.

See ya. Michael Plummer
    94 Mustang GT
    545rwhp w/P600B on race gas
    533rwhp w/D1 on pump gas
    new combo coming soon

Senior SCH Member
    Originally posted by Michael Plummer
    Hi there,
    Okay now we're on to something. You stated that you bypassed the smog pump. What happens is that the idler tensioner doesn't have sufficient tension on it from the crank pulley and alternator. The belt will walk off the idler tensioner because it has no lip.

To rectify this you need to do some of the following.

#1) Install a new 87-93 idler tensioner with a lip. I know you said you tried this but it should work unless the tensioner was warped. This will replace the stk. idler tensioner, its located between the crank pulley and the alternator. No need to do this if you do #2.

#2) Install a smog delete kit or re-install the smog pump and this will place the correct amount of tension on the idler tensioner and this will correct your problem. If you preform this upgrade there is no reason to replace the stk. Ford idler tensioner in #1.

In closing, You do not have the correct idler tensioner (the one near your coil) get the correct one from your local parts store or Ford this upgrade is a must and these upgrades will FIX your problem.

See ya. Michael Plummer
    I agree with what Michael says here, that you should reinstall the smog pump or a delete kit. Honestly the smog pump isn't freeing up that much hp or weight to make a significant difference.
    I have also heard of someone drilling an extra hole in the D1 bracket and installing an extra idler pulley for more belt wrap. I am unsure what location would be best for this, however the D1SC has an additional idler pulley directly above the one provided on the bracket.
    Dan
    1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021
    Dart 331,AFR185,D1SC,RPMII upper/lower
    OLD
    GT40X, E303, D1SC 13psi, 3 core intercooler, Magnaflow Catback, Hooker equal lengths, Mac Prochamber, 3.73, Auburn, Moser 31 splines, Pro-m75, MSD 6AL, TKO, Spec Stage III, Larocca Tuned
    10psi 11:1 a/f= 464rwhp 431ft/lbs

11.9@123mph @13psi 1.9 60'
    hp? tq?
    Moderator of General Tech

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the replys guys. I will try the list one by one and see what's going on.
    95 D1 GT
    01 P1SC GT

Junior SCH Member
    yeah you need the smog pump on there.. Mikes mustang has the 8 rib conversion supposedly it sells for 699. there # is (360)653-4786
    95 GT MOVIE HERE

Junior SCH Member
    Wondering if any of you guys has the belt part nember that will include the smog pump with? I'm by passing it now, so I need a longer belt.
    95 D1 GT
    01 P1SC GT

If you don't want to measure it out, then call up ATI... because if I'm not mistaken... you will be running a stock accessory drive after you put that back on, so they should be able to tell you what exact belt size is needed, and supply it too.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net