Thread: Low Boost

Junior SCH Member

Low Boost

My F-1R on my windsor based 383 will only turn six psi. I ordered it with a min. of 16psi. Everything is installed right and is functioning normal. My idea is that Procharger may have sent the wrong pulley combo. Max rpm is 6600 and the charger pulley is 4.5 iinches and the crank is around eight. How do you measure the boost according to the size? Or is my combo right?

J-marr

Junior SCH Member
    the smaller the blower pulley the more boost you get you should be able to get the correct pulley from procharger just call and they should just trade pulleys with you that is what i did.and they also said that since i live at a high altitude that it would be harder to make the boost i want (7000 feet)
    the pulley i have now is 3.4 and i only get 15 psi.just give them a call and they will help you out

Junior SCH Member
    They tell me at Procharger that my motor will not stand no more boost than 11 psi, which they said I should be making. My engine builder told me that 16PSI in street form was safe? I am confused.

j-marr

Junior SCH Member
    do you have to much compression? are you running cast pistons or a cast crank?what was their reasoning for telling you that let us know

Junior SCH Member
    I am running forged pistons, rods, and crank. Turning a max of 6600 rpm. Compression is 8.0 to 1. I have the pms engine management and at max boost I pull the timing down to 17 degrees.

J-marr

Junior SCH Member
    sounds like your set up for 16psi.so what was their problem with you running
    more boost maybe not enough fuel fuel system for that much boost
    let us know what they said

Junior SCH Member
    They had no real reason why they said that. They kept saying that the size of the motor would not handle that kind of boost. That is what confused me. My fuel system is the complete Aeromotive Eliminator setup, so I should have plenty of fuel. I am going to tighten the belt real tight like Procharger told me and try that. If I still don't make the boost, where can I buy a smaller pulley. Procharger told me that they would not sell me one due to risk.

J-marr

Junior SCH Member
    try ebay for another pulley or put a post here for anyone selling pulleys they dont need that is strange that procharger wont sell you the pulley
    hope you get the boost you want your car should run good with what you have

SCH Member
    I might be able to find something for you. What size pulley are you looking for?
    93 notch-s-trim@11 p.s.i.,twisted wedge,GT-40,comp,306-pump gas only-10.93@129.7 on bfg drag radials--10.64@127.5 on ET drags
    548rwhp/502 rwtq

new 340" procharged combo in the works

SCH Member
    Is it John or Johnny? Anyways, call them back and let them know that your compression ratio is now 8:1 and not the 9:1 that you originally told them.