Thread: car is d.o.a.

Senior SCH Member

Angry car is d.o.a.

my buddies 93 hatchback quit running on him when he hit a hard bump. at first he thought the fuel pump quit so he pulled the tank and replaced the pump,but that didnt work.so i checked his cutoff switch but wasnt it, when i put the multi meter to it ,it shows power ,like 3 volts but when you push it down to turn it on the voltage goes to 0 .so i tried to check codes but even the code scanner wouldnt work.the relay to the computer still clicks but havent checked to see if it powers computer yet ,he has even replaced computer to see if it was computer ,but nothing. he doesnt even have spark when we turn the engine over ..is there any inline fuses we can check or does anybody have an idea where to start looking to see what it is?:violent:

Am i missing something......if you only have 3v then your battery is shot!

Or where are you checking the V? Battery??
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

Junior SCH Member
    check all vehicle grounds and also double check the computer and make sure you have a good ground and power and with only 3v the battery sounds shot
    possiable shorted cell after the bump

Senior SCH Member
    the battery has a full 12 volts,at the saftey cutoff switch in the back is where i measured the voltage from, because on my car i have 12 volts going thru it , but when i try his ,he has 3 volts ,but that is when the switch is in the up position or off it shows 3 volts but when you push it in to turn on the pump it shows 0 volts .we tried different relays to the fuel pump relay it shows the same thing , would a ground problem do this or is it the positive side maybe?

Well if you have 12 v At the battery that is good.

Check the battery side of the shutoff switch....should have 12v
    if not bad ground on battery
    If 12v then check car side of shutoff switch. Should have 12v when on and 0 when off...if not then the switch is bad!

Report back and we can go from here!
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -1.42-- 60'
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

Senior SCH Member
    well we pulled the harness from the computer and found which wire powered the computer tried to see how many volts was to the computer but it was only 1/2 volt so we are thinking the power relay to the computer might be bad.because all the accesories still work ,but not the computer.

Senior SCH Member
    TRY A DIFFERENT BATTERY. IT IS VERY SIMPLE TO TRY.

A battery with a shorted cell may still show 12Volts with no load. However, under load, you won't have enough juice.

Give it a try as someone else above has suggested.;)

Senior SCH Member
    so if it were the battery why would it crank over and over again????he has power to run all accessories and still have it turn over. so if it were a weak cell it wouldnt be able to turn it over time and time again, or would it?:violent:

Senior SCH Member
    Sorry, you have a good point. Keep us all posted as things unfold.

Senior SCH Member

Talking

well finally figured it out took long enough, though.....the fusible link to the computer was bad , so thats why it was showing 3 volts at the fuel shutoff switch ,it was back-feeding from somewhere..i guess it only takes 23 days to figure out what was wrong,when your buddy who owns the car doesnt ever want to try and fix it...haha:D

Sounds good.

Thanks for the update!

-545 rwhp
    -1.42-- 60'

Senior SCH Member
    The persiverence payed off!

BTW, where is the computer's fusible link located? Maybe you can educate the rest of us in case we have this same problem - thanks.

Senior SCH Member
    it is on the voltage regulator on the fenderwell ,hopefully no one has to go through that!